Sealing a gas tank

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Brian4236

Sealing a gas tank

Post by Brian4236 »

Hi, everyone. I've been thinking about sealing the tank on my '72 Wombat. The tank was chromed a few years ago. Cosmetically, the tank is in beautiful condition. However, the inside is a bit rusty (not too bad), but it definitely has more sediment (I can see it in the filter) than my other '72 Wombat, which has a sealed tank and a clean filter. Do most people seal their chrome tanks? If so, what do you recommend to seal it? Is it a tough job? Any suggestions are appreciated. In the mean time, I have drained the tank and was going to follow the suggestions of a friend: Take the tank to a car wash and use the high-pressure hose to wash out the tank. Then pour in a bottle of denatured alcohol, swish it around, empty the tank, and then let it air dry in the sun. What do you think? --Brian
kc57

Re: Sealing a gas tank

Post by kc57 »

Hi Brian
I have had good luck with , using gravel or sheet metal screws. Dump into tank shake like a madman. Dump out rinse with water , repeat until all the loose stuff is gone. Remove your petcocks, insert bolts into petcock holes. And fill with a couple of gallons of white vinegar. let it set for a few days. Then pour some baking soda into tank. ( have it in a sink or tub it will overflow ! ) Rinse one more time and then swish around some oil to coat the inside . I personally don't care for sealing tanks, I have used this method with good results on several tanks. Good Luck ! K.C.
RHall1972

Post by RHall1972 »

Evaporust is a great product for de-rusting if the rust isn't too bad. It's available at Tractor Supply and O'Reillys, probably other places as well. If you do decide to seal the tank, I've had great success with a product called Red Kote. It's fairly simple to use and has a great reputation -- also available at O'Reillys, among other places. Avoid ethanol gas always, but especially after sealing.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Here are my "two bits worth" on the topic.

The initial question would be, "Why would you want to coat the inside of a tank which is not leaking? Which has lasted 40 years already and only has light rust?" For me, the answer is, "No. Don't do that." And, "Coating the interior of a Hodaka fuel tank is reserved for situations when the choice is . . . coat the interior to stop leaks, or take the tank out of service." I can't think of another reason which would cause me to coat the interior of a motorcycle fuel tank.

If there is flakey rust or other grunge inside the tank, it is not difficult to remove . . . but that doesn't mean that coating is needed.

Finally, if you do decide to coat the interior - clean it by the most effective methods known to mankind . . . twice (or three times) to be absolutely SURE the coating will be applied to bare, clean steel with NO petroleum contamination whatsoever. And NEVER leave ethanol blended fuel in a coated tank (or any tank, for that matter) during storage times.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Brian4236

Post by Brian4236 »

Outstanding info! This is what I needed. From reading this, I see that the wise choice for my situation it to simply follow these guidelines to clean the tank and not seal it. Many thanks to all who responded. --Brian
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

I've used Red Kote as well, with great results even with ethanol fuel. My 78 Honda 550K has been sealed for 6 years. I've tried all the cleaning techniques, none of them fun, even nut and bolts wrapped up and put in a dryer (no heat). Or this method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTKHZSKuJtQ
94 Hodaka Wombat, Combat Toad w 95 frame + 02 Road Toad frame, and a brood of old Honda's.
http://www.goomer.com/honda/
joebat

Post by joebat »

Brian, Bullfrog is EXACTLY RIGHT ON, as ussual. I have a leaky chrome tank. I had cleaned and de-rusted it about 7 years ago and it was fine for about 4 years. Then it did develop leaks. I used tank sealer in it at that time but it only last for 1 season and then it starts leaking again. I recoated it 3 timed using the same sealer but it eventually started leaking again. This last time time I had to strip out all of the old sealer and start again. I used Casswell sealer this time and put on two coats hoping it will last longer. It is a pain in the butt so do not use it unless there is no choice like Ed said. I should just buy a plastic tank but I am in love with the Chrome 'Toaster' tank and just don't want to give it up.
Good luck with yours.

Joe
Brian4236

Post by Brian4236 »

Thanks, Joe.