Just purchased 73 wombat

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
944turbo

Just purchased 73 wombat

Post by 944turbo »

Hello, hoping to get advice on starting a wombat that has not been run in about 7 years, there is fuel in the tank that I need to dispose of but not sure what I should regarding rust issues in the tank. I plan to remove carb and clean, I think that shouldn't be to big an issue, there is not battery in the bike so I presume the bike won't run without one, is that correct?

Thanks for any advice you can offer

944turbo
Dale

Re: Just purchased 73 wombat

Post by Dale »

Welcome. it is possible that your tank just needs a good rinse. Many options exist for a thorough cleaning. Be sure to add an inline filter.

No battery is needed to run the bike however running lights without the battery in place will likely burn out your bulbs and the headlamps are rare.

Dale
Dale
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

I would treat this the same as a set up on a new bike. Aside from the need to clean the tank and carb, which is a must, I would uninstall, verify, and reinstall points and condenser, put in a new spark plug, and reset the timing. If you still have lights, source a new battery. Remove, clean, and reinstall all the light bulbs. While the carb is out, lube the throttle cable, remove the throttle grip, and clean and lube it. Remove, clean and reinstall the brakes front and back, and lube the front brake cable. Drain and refill the forks. Generally check, clean, and verify every moving part like levers and brake pedal. Go over it stem to stern. Remove the chain and both sprockets, and clean them if you intend to reuse them, including soaking the chain and lubing it. Check the tires for rot and cracks, and if they are okay, set the tire pressure. Check spoke tension by dinging the spokes. If you have some dead ones, consider pulling the wheel assembly and putting the axle in a vise so you can spin the wheel and check for true.

Does it need all this? Maybe not, but it won't hurt, and when you are done you will know your bike better.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I would clean the tank and carb. Do a visual on wheels, sprockets and tires ect.. Check for spark, make sure the brakes work, order a manual, check transmission oil. One quick look at the wombat and we could give a recommendation. Who rode it, the miles, the care, where was it stored, compression, where and how are you going to ride? Heading for hodaka days would be different than around the family farm. My set up on a few hundred hodaka"s was to add gas, check the fluids, check for shipping damage service the battery, test ride and do the paperwork. Once sold send in the warranty card and keep big Ed happyr. Let us see the pictures. I would have more faith on a old clean original than a restoration done by a inexperienced person done without proper tools supervision or manuals. I would ride any motorcycle done by Laurie "Pep" anywhere.---------Clarence
944turbo

Post by 944turbo »

Thank you to all I'll send photos out, the bike shows 910 miles. It is in pretty good shape both cosmeticly and from a wear stand point, I raced hare scrambles with a super rat and a combat but I've never had a street wombat so I'm not quite as familiar or I've forgotten a bit, hate to admit the latter.

Excellent advice from you, I intend to use the bike as opposed to restore and make it look pretty again.

I'll reach out as I go forward, you guys are the best thx , Tom
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Get a big handful of ball bearings and put in tank with some fresh fuel. Put cap on and make sure petcock is closed. Then start shaking the tank to break up excessive rust in tank. Drain, catch bearings & clean & repeat! When no more rust breaks loose you can use tank. Just make sure you have an inline fuel filter between petcock and carb. ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90