03 Wombat Swing Arm on 97 Super Combat

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Pep

03 Wombat Swing Arm on 97 Super Combat

Post by Pep »

Has anybody done this?

I’ve torn down my 97 from the Diamond Don’s mud festival, and I have an 03 swing arm lying around…seems like a good time to try it.
Eyeballing the situation, it looks like a straightforward swap, and hopefully I can rehab the mashed 03 brake rod and stay to work.

If you have any tips, I’d sure appreciate it.

The bike has an 03 front end and 14.25” shocks.

Thanks,
Laurie

Here's what end of race day looked like:
Attachments
IMG_6675.JPG
Zyx

Re: 03 Wombat Swing Arm on 97 Super Combat

Post by Zyx »

Laurie,

Personally I have never swapped arms because I don't have a supply to choose from. But, measure the width at the pivot, verify bushing internal diameter is the same, which I think it is, and measure distance from pivot to vital points, like shock mount and axle location. Should be a virtual ringer with maybe slightly different mount points for shocks and accessories. Mount it and try it.
Pep

Post by Pep »

Thanks AZ.
On closer inspection, looks like it could use a chain roller bracket (like the 97), which should be a straightforward welding job.
I'm going to mock it up and see what else needs adjusting...
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

I just put a chain roller on a 100B arm, so it isn't hard to do. Bend up some eighth inch stock, drill a couple holes, tack it where it goes. Easy.
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

I did this 2 years ago and cant remember the exact details but I think I had to knock the bushing out of one end of the SC swing arm to get a distance setting collar out. It had to be used with the SC swing arm bolt to keep the SC bushings from going all the way thru the larger 03 bushing. I believe I had to do this because I didn't have an 03 swing arm bolt, but am not sure. I also welded a roller to the top of the swing arm to match the SC.
rtboone

Post by rtboone »

Greetings Laurie

As for the roller, I used a 250 chain guide block bolted on top of the swing arm on a 02 and 03 project using the stock chain guard mount. No welding needed. All you need to do is cut and drill a 1" wide piece of steel and bolt in on.
On the 03, because of the longer length of the arm,I was able to use the stock chain guard as well.
The chain lines up nicely and the guide keeps it from rubbing on the frame.
Hope the helps.

Tom
Attachments
03 with guide block in the chain guard
03 with guide block in the chain guard
02 top viiew
02 top viiew
02 side view. The guide rests on the swing arm
02 side view. The guide rests on the swing arm
Pep

Post by Pep »

Thanks y'all.
RT, I do have the pivot bolt, which seems to work (spacers are different).

Tom - fantastic idea! I prefer the reversibility of bolt-on rather than welding. I went into the barn "stall off broken dreams" and low and behold, found an intact 250 frame and swing arm. The tensioner is a nice fit, but I'm going try a roller rather than slider. Thanks for the great tip!
Laurie