pvl ignition

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
bodyman

pvl ignition

Post by bodyman »

Is there any way to keep lights usable /battery charged on an early Ace 100 if I put the PVL ignition on it? I use it on the roads quiet often. Any options? Getting costly and frustrating trying to keep the original ignitions up on these old bikes!! Thanks ; Randy
thrownchain

Re: pvl ignition

Post by thrownchain »

Go with an MZB set up. PVL is ignition only, MZB is set up for lights.
bodyman

Post by bodyman »

I don't know why , but they do not offer that for early Aces. Mine is a 1970, is it considered early? They don't really specify years. Unless anyone knows of one, please post! Randy
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Well if they don't list it, maybe because not many people would spend the money . What kind of issues do you have with the point system? I bet there are many folks here that have no issue with the points and could help you out, many would find the points very reliable. So lets fix it.
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

The original points setup is not as reliable as a modern electronic ignition but it is reliable enough for every day use and a lot cheaper than a PVL. If you are having reliability issues you need to go over the entire system and replace or refurbish all the components. Make sure the points and condenser are new and go over the wiring harness to make sure all connnections are clean and secure. Check the little felt piece that applies oil to the points cam if your points are not staying in adjustment. Make sure the plug cap and high tension lead are in good shape. If you have any questions ask here!

Brian
bodyman

Post by bodyman »

Yeah, I suppose that is my only solution for now. I have the pvl but will use it on my dirt squirt because I really dont want to lose the lights on the Ace since I use it on the streets. For now I am going to need the ignition coil for the 1970 Ace to get it running up to snuff. New coil will be more than half of the pvl. $240 for new or$100 for used? Anyone have any other suggestions? Randy
MWL

Post by MWL »

Get an aftermarket universal coil. Emgo brand is less than $20.
Mike