Disc brake conversion

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
turbokh

Disc brake conversion

Post by turbokh »

Wow.. I really hate to ask such a question here, but I'll dare:

Has anyone transplanted a modern disc brake front end onto a Combat Wombat (1973, model 95).
Do I know drum brakes work okay? Yes.
Why would I do this? Just because I want o.
Might it detract from the value of the bike? Maybe, but I'm not selling it.

I have access to a 2002 YZ 125 front end. I would most likely lace my Combat Wombat rim onto the YZ hub so they both look the same. Just wondering if it's been done here before and is there a better candidate for a donor bike.

Thanks.
nobog

Re: Disc brake conversion

Post by nobog »

It actually sounds like a good idea to me - I'm surprised someone doesn't make a kit for the most popular models.

JK
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Should work fine, but be careful and use the triple clamps from the Yam. The Yam forks are likely forward axle, and those forks in Hodie triples would not provide proper geometry.
Bob
motovate

Post by motovate »

Only down side I can think of is that it would affect the class you run in if you race it - if it is a play bike then that isn't a problem & sounds like a good idea. Lots of people seem to move up to larger newer forks and I think paul here even sells an adapter stem for the larger forks. I'll bet someone has already done it. While you are at it why not modify the rear to disc's also??

LBM
turbokh

Post by turbokh »

Oh.. hadn't even thought about how it might affect geometry even if just the wheelbase..I'll set one in a bike and do some basic measurements to see what happens. I would like to do the rear wheel too at some point. thanks for the input.
junker2k

Post by junker2k »

The YZ front wheel would be a cool idea, but I would rethink the forks! Bob is SOOO right about the leading axle
forks on a Hodaka triple trees, This will mess up the trail geometry in a very bad way. Tried it and ended up eating
a lot of dirt. I'm not sure the front forks would even work. The newer bikes have longer fork tubes and way more travel. It could get to the point that under full compression the frame could hit the ground. As for the rear change to a YZ hub, I'm not sure it will fit in the swing arm. But with enough time, money and skill anything can work.
Jack K