Vibration at specific rev range

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
hodakamax

Re: Vibration at specific rev range

Post by hodakamax »

It's like flipping a coin, it's still in the air! (and so is the flywheel, on the plane to the U.K.) 8-)

Maxie
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Hey Guys
I see the debate is still rumbling on. Hope I don't end up being the one to eat crow if there's nothing wrong with my bike (or no way of fixing it as that's how they were made).
Anyway, I managed to track down the Hodaka collector in the UK, who has around 7-8 bikes. He's no mechanic but he said if I wanted to I could pop up to see him and try a couple of his, but he also said he's never had a Hodaka vibrate like I described to him. He has a Dirt Squirt so I might just do that, and if I do I'll take my bike with me for him to try.
In the mean time I've sent my flywheel back to the balance guy (who seems to take ages to do anything I'm afraid) and am waiting for Charlie's flywheel to arrive too. I'll try whichever 'lands' first and let you guys know the result.
All the best and thanks again for your interest and help
Tim
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Let's hope the U.S. spec flywheel turns in the right direction on a Brit bike. 8-)
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Hey Guys
I don't normally write in capital letters but HALLELULIA THE VIBRATION IS GONE !!!!!
Charlie's flywheel turned up yesterday (beautifully cleaned so thanks Charlie), and having fitted it (including new key) I've just come back from a fantastic blast around the Gloucestershire countryside. It's so good to know what a Hodaka should feel like. Don't get me wrong, there's still a degree of vibration, but nothing that you wouldn't expect from a 1970's motocrosser and not in one specific rev range anymore.
My original flywheel is still with the balancer guy, but he did say that he's known one example of a flywheel that was difficult to remove and in doing so, the inner taper became distorted making the flywheel run off-true. I can only imagine that this is what's happened to mine. Interestingly I did notice one difference between Charlies flywheel and my original - mine weighs 30 grms more, but I can't imagine it would make any difference.
I don't know who owes who the beer, but if I ever make it to your side of the pond I'll very happily buy any of you a tipple of your choice.
Thanks a million for your time and consideration - it really is good to be part of the brotherhood of bikers. Anyone coming to 'Blighty' please look me up in Gloucestershire near the Welsh border (email [email protected]).
Cheers Tim
Dale

Post by Dale »

:D
Dale
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Well,Well, imagine that, no crow for me. (or Charlie) Whew!

Maxie

PS--I needed that after the beating I took on that reed valve thing! :D
dcooke007

Post by dcooke007 »

Hey Tim,
Although I had my doubts about the flywheel, I am glad the problem has been identified and problem solved. I can just imagine the head turning when you take it for a ride.

Danny
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Tim, I'm glad you're on the move again! That was a fun discussion for sure-- :)

Maxie
Dale

Post by Dale »

Tim,
How about posting a picture of your bike now that it is good to go? Perhaps in a new topic. I would love to see it.
Dale
Dale
Charlie R

Post by Charlie R »

Very good Tim! Please keep in touch with us on this side of the pond. Please look around your area for fellow vintage enthusiasts. Of course you are always welcome here (and any other chat groups), but the personal connection is harder due to geography. Maybe you can start a local vintage chapter. It has been a pleasure to make your acquaintance irregardless!
Charlie R.
Broken Arrow, OK
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

I don't remember anything about crows in the betting -- but I'm ready to buy a round or two.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

hodakamax wrote:Trust me----I'm ready for my beer 8-)

Guess who--

Hope I don't have to eat a crow. (Tim, that's what you have to do when you're wrong in the U.S. of A.)
Ed, Thanks for your offer on a round! How did you miss the crow thing? :lol:

Maxie
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

And hats off to Charlie for fixing a Hodaka and improving international relations! :) I can't decide whether I prefer Guinness or perhaps a Dos Equis and I think unsweetened tea for Charlie. OK, you guys are good sports and a fun bunch so I'll buy the second round!

Maxie
Charlie R

Post by Charlie R »

Hi all, this is Charlie via my wife's fantastic fingers. This morning I had some pretty serious surgery on my shoulder so I will be one-armed for quite awhile so posts from me will be few. This topic proves the value of this forum and what it is all about. Everyone can share their ideas and views in a respectful manner until a successful conclusion is achieved. Thanks to all who participated, it was truly a group effort and hopefully this will be of use to others in the future.

For the time being, the best way to communicate with me will be by cell phone, as I'm a lousy typist with two hands. One handed is just impossible.

;)
Charlie R.
Broken Arrow, OK
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Charlie, are you doing OK? Just checking on you. No need for a one handed answer, I'll be down to see you when you feel up to it! I'll warn you on my approach! Later-- :D Unsweetened tea isn't it? All you can drink!

Maxie