New Video, Coil Repair

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
socalhodaka

New Video, Coil Repair

Post by socalhodaka »

Last edited by socalhodaka on Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
motovate

Re: New Video, Coil Repair

Post by motovate »

Link doesn't work????

LBM
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Try this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peofkWZDiDI

I just searched for socalhodaka and found it.

This is a really nice technique and a great way to save an otherwise ruined coil. I have done something similar but I used JB Weld instead of the Permatex product.

Brian
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Kelly, Checked out the new video. Good subject--I had no idea that could be done! Good production, clear and precise, keep up the good work.

Max
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Link is fixed,

Thanks everyone
Kelly
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

Great work guys. Just wondered how you got the metal parts of the coil so clean. Did you submerge the coil in a liquid like Evapo Rust or would that ruin the coil? (also posted question on YouTube.)
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Bill, it's glass bead blasted.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Speaking of coil repair, here's my victim. Is there a way to check the coil with a meter?

Max
Attachments
DSCN0716_01.JPG
motovate

Post by motovate »

Good Job - very "Sanitary" repair!!!!

LBM
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

hodakamax wrote:Speaking of coil repair, here's my victim. Is there a way to check the coil with a meter?

Max
Posted in February from Brian Z,
To determine if your coil is okay, measure the resistance between the black and blue wires of the coil. The ohmeter should indicate low resistance (less than 10 ohms). Now measure from the spark plug cap to the frame. The ohmeter should measure somewhere in the thousands of ohms (mine measure 10,000 - 20,000 ohms).
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Thanks Kelly! Looks like this one is toast. It is so corroded on both the frame and cap that I ground to bare metal and still no reading. Looked bad from start--- :(
At least I learned "how to".

Maxie
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

hodakamax wrote:Thanks Kelly! Looks like this one is toast. It is so corroded on both the frame and cap that I ground to bare metal and still no reading. Looked bad from start--- :(
At least I learned "how to".

Maxie
Thanks Too Brian
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Thanks to both of you, I guess that is what the forum is all about! :)
Max
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Kelly, You once commented on my lighting and I can share a set-up that I use for commercial photography which would work well on the videos you're doing. I built these from work lights and mounted them in different configurations of 1,2 and 3 with stand mounts. They are fluorescent and match the color temperature of most shop and commercial lighting. They're great for filling in eyes in overhead lighting situations and for close-up stuff or for squirting light in nooks and crannies. You can buy commercial versions in several sizes or build your own. My first version was just a 48 inch bench light on a stand--kinda clunky but did the job.
Anyway, hope this helps!

Maxie

P.S. I normally don't share these photographers "tricks", but you are a Hodaka Guy! ;)
Attachments
Hodaka_Lighting3.jpg
Hodaka_Lighting2.jpg
Hodaka_Lighting_1.jpg
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

Great video, nice job Kelly.
94 Hodaka Wombat, Combat Toad w 95 frame + 02 Road Toad frame, and a brood of old Honda's.
http://www.goomer.com/honda/
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

hodakamax wrote:Hey Kelly, You once commented on my lighting and I can share a set-up that I use for commercial photography which would work well on the videos you're doing. I built these from work lights and mounted them in different configurations of 1,2 and 3 with stand mounts. They are fluorescent and match the color temperature of most shop and commercial lighting. They're great for filling in eyes in overhead lighting situations and for close-up stuff or for squirting light in nooks and crannies. You can buy commercial versions in several sizes or build your own. My first version was just a 48 inch bench light on a stand--kinda clunky but did the job.
Anyway, hope this helps!

Maxie

P.S. I normally don't share these photographers "tricks", but you are a Hodaka Guy! ;)
Max, thanks for all the input. I like the lights and going to look for something like that.
Kelly
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Kelly, If you're purchasing this type of light try to find some with 2700K or 3200K bulbs. Most of them come with 5500K daylight bulbs and are too blue to match most indoor lighting. Sometimes they will trade bulbs when you buy them. It'll save buying another set of bulbs.

Question; where in the heck did you come up with all those Hodaka parts? :o (I did check out the raffle bike video.)

Maxie
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

hodakamax wrote:Hey Kelly, If you're purchasing this type of light try to find some with 2700K or 3200K bulbs. Most of them come with 5500K daylight bulbs and are too blue to match most indoor lighting. Sometimes they will trade bulbs when you buy them. It'll save buying another set of bulbs.

Question; where in the heck did you come up with all those Hodaka parts? :o

Maxie
I have friends, not my parts. California Hodaka