Replacing shift lever spring

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Phydeaux

Replacing shift lever spring

Post by Phydeaux »

I don't have a workshop manual, are they available somewhere? Anyway, just before I parked my early Dirt Squirt last fall I thought I got it stuck in gear. Turned out to be a broken shift lever return spring. So I have a new one and assume installation is the reverse of removal. However is there anything I need to be aware of when putting the side case back on in terms of alignment? Do I have to get the transmission back to neutral and if so, how? I have no real idea what gear it's in or how to manipulate that shift plunger to change gears..

RLW
Zyx

Re: Replacing shift lever spring

Post by Zyx »

I usually put the bike on a crate to free the rear wheel, take the cover off, shift manually to fourth, put the cover back on verifying the shifter arm is engaged with the control shaft, and finish assembly. The inspection cover needs to come off so you can verify engagement.

No trick to the spring. If you don't take the lock bolt off of the middle of the shifter arm, there is nothing else to adjust or put out of adjustment. As far as I remember.

So pretty much reverse order. Takes a bit of wiggling to get the shift ratchet to fit into the spring legs, but it does go without tools and such. Just push down and move the ratchet back and forth a bit, and it will slip into place.
Phydeaux

Re: Replacing shift lever spring

Post by Phydeaux »

Thank you much. Once I got into it I saw that it's pretty straight forward. I see now that the selector mechanism is independent of the transmission. What a treat working on this little bike!

RLW