Sealing Wombat tank with minor leak

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Brian4236

Sealing Wombat tank with minor leak

Post by Brian4236 »

Howdy, everyone. The tank on my '72 wombat has a very minor leak in the seam. This is a tank that has been chromed and is in otherwise good condition. For those of you who have sealed a Hodaka fuel tank, what product do you recommend and what helpful hints do you have for doing this work? Thanks. --Brian
viclioce

Re: Sealing Wombat tank with minor leak

Post by viclioce »

If it's a seam you may be able to fill it with solder. But you need to make sure you wash the tank out with soap & water and then fill the tank with water, put the cap on and flip it over. Use a small butane pencil torch. Heat the area, clean it with a small wire brush and then heat it again and solder in the seam. You should be able to do it without seeing any heat damage! ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

I agree with Victor except for the "filling" part. If the part to be soldered is in close contact with water you will never get it hot enough to melt solder. Wash with soap, yes. Even leave a bit of dish soap in the water in the tank when you go to solder it because the surfactant keeps gas from being an issue. But water should be a ways away from the work area or it won't get hot any time today. Actually, if you thoroughly wash with dish soap, it won't go boom anyway, and you can just solder with the cap off the tank. Spooky the first time, but wash until you can't smell gas or see oiliness in the rinse water, and there is not enough fuel left to be an issue.
Brian4236

Post by Brian4236 »

So, neither of you is a fan of a sealant? I guess I'm a bit nervous about things going "boom."
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Gas tanks can be safely welded. They just have to be clean. If you cant smell gas, and if rinse water shows no oil slick, there is no fuel, just don't put on the cap, more due to warpage than danger. Here, we have a nicely chromed tank, and welding would certainly damage the look. Internal sealants can also work, but most are tedious.

My only concern is that the leak is at a seam. It is likely to keep leaking if the seam is opening up, as opposed to rusted through. Solder will hold up to a point. Brazing is better but needs far more heat and could also damage the chrome. I guess it would be a judgement call how to fix it. If you use a sealant product and it doesn't work, how do you get it out of the tank? I have never tried sealants so can't attest to or warn against. Just don't know. At least with solder, if it doesn't work, nothing is lost and you can still try something else. Haven't tried soldering chrome, but the steel underneath should hold a solder joint.

If it were mine, I would use braze because it makes a more certain repair especially if you can get it to chase flux into the seam crack.
Brian4236

Post by Brian4236 »

OK, will give it a go. Thanks to each of you for responding.
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Few here are fans of sealant, especially "Kreem." Other sealants draw some supporters, but Kreem is not much loved by folks here. I've actually used JB Weld on certain tank holes (not especially seams) and Darrell Ohs wrote in the Resonator Revisited (R2) about using fiberglass and "Downey" fabric softener sheets to seal a tank.

See what you're missing if you aren't a Hodaka Club member and reading the R2?

Bob