Ace 90 Shock Upgrade?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Pep

Ace 90 Shock Upgrade?

Post by Pep »

Anyone know of modern shocks that will mount up on an Ace 90? Skinny enough to allow the stock pipe to mount properly?
I’m assuming the originals are not re-buildable. The originals look good, but man are they miserable performers.
I’ve got a vintage road ride coming up, and with any speed, I’m likely to get bucked off.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
-Laurie
socalhodaka

Re: Ace 90 Shock Upgrade?

Post by socalhodaka »

Whats the overall length and the eye to eye length?
Pep

Post by Pep »

12.5 eye to eye and 14 overall. I’m not picky on tweaking those lengths if I can find something that works.
The limiting factor seems to be where the exhausts mounts (to the right shock bolt). That bracket doesn't offer a lot of room, and sliding things out a great deal will cause some misalignment at the lower mount and cylinder.
The stock shock springs have a diameter of less than ¾ inch – might be enough room to squeeze an inch diameter shock, but no more than that.
Attachments
AceShock.JPG
tvrc18

Post by tvrc18 »

I bought some for my 90 off Ebay that look real close to original and they are about 13" eye to eye. I think they are for a Honda trail 90 or ct 70 or some small early Honda.
Pep

Post by Pep »

Just an update, in case someone ends up hunting some new shocks to fit an Ace 90:
Matt at Speed and Sport had some new NJB's that mounted up nicely.
Ride is much improved.
-Laurie
Attachments
NJB Shocks.JPG
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello Lauire, good pics, can you give the Hodaka world a little spec info on the shocks you purchased, length, spring length, rate, and etc. I see the fitment was really good, would you recomend them for trail riding or racing, and are they rebuildable. Thanks Bruce Young Hodakaparts.com Idaho.
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
Pep

Post by Pep »

Hi Bruce,
Here’s a link to the NJB site with a lot of specs and a range of shock types (scrambles, trials, racing, etc.) The company is out of the UK, but like I mentioned, Matt at Speed and Sport stocks them – I imagine they can be found elsewhere too. http://www.njbshocks.co.uk/
The model I bought is NJB MX Expert, 55lb Single Spring Rate – these happened to be the eye-to-eye I was looking for (13”) and also ready to ship when I called. They are also ok to mount upside down, so that was some extra assurance on getting clearance at the top mount.
I don’t know much about NJB’s – these seem to work well, they do not look re-buildable. I suspect they will be very capable as light road and trail shocks. These are small-bodied (to fit the Ace), and don’t strike me as “stout” enough for hard racing, but who knows.
With a price tag of $225 for the pair, seemed worth trying.
There were other NJB’s priced from $180-$265.
Standing it against a set of Progressives or Works, my feeling is that they would fall short (just based on how they look/feel) performance-wise.
But for the light duty so many of us put on our elderly Aces, I think these are a good choice.
All just my humble opinion, hope it helps.
-Laurie
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Thanks, Laurie, that was a perfect response. it helps those out there whom just want a new pair of almost stock looking shocks to put on their project. I am sure they will work just right for most, except the most IE: racers. Thanks for info. Will help a lot whom are on the fence in deciding to do about replacing old model machines shock. It,s a good alt. source. Bruce Young
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

I used NJBs from Matt on my Yamaha TY250 trials bike; they work fine. Mine may have heavier springs (heavier bike & rider than Laurie) but they are a common, reliable trial mod.

Bob
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Thanks Bob and Laurie, its good to find little gems like these NJB shocks that will assist the Hodaka world newbies like myself. We get calls about replacement shocks for those early bikes and its nice to find some thing we can refer people to. There are a lot of Hodaka owners whom only want workable units for replacement without spending a lot of money. We will always suggest Progresive Units for those whom want a lot more in their replacement shocks. Thanks again to all you in the Hodaka world for sharing. Bruce Young Hodakaparts.com Idaho. We are never to old to learn new things.