Mystery engine?????

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Charlie R

Mystery engine?????

Post by Charlie R »

IMG_1085.JPG
Digging through some old engines and ran across this. The cases say its an Ace 90. Someone back in the day had some time on their hands and an idea in the back of their mind. I have not opened the engine up yet. Anybody wanna guess what we'll find? This is the stuff I love....and no, I didn't do it!
Charlie R.
Broken Arrow, OK
socalhodaka

Re: Mystery engine?????

Post by socalhodaka »

Looks cooooooool, take off that top and let us see it.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

That IS bizarre, I can't imagine what's going on there---Quick, show us!

Maxie
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

To think they did all of this without a Hodaka Forum. When the Hodaka came out in 64 there were no manuals until 67 I think, many times we had to answer our own questions but there was a network of racing buddies, dealers, distributors. Looks like the cylinder was running the big amel amal you know the big carb. ===========Clarence
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

Looks like someone turned the top couple fins off either a 90 0r 100 cylinder and fitted some alloy fins back in place. Looks a little tall so will be nice to hear what you find.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

The more I look at this, there might be enough room for liquid cooling. Any external faucets?--OK, my guess is liquid cooling. (I've been wrong before!)

Curious--

Maxie

PS--Do we win anything? :roll:
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Top half of the stroke is a 175, bottom half 90cc for an average displacement of 132.5cc. Either that, or it is a flux capacitor grafted onto a 50cc moped motor.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

You're taunting us--What's the hold-up--tear that thing apart--We're curious what this mod is. :D

Maxie
Last edited by hodakamax on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Charlie R

Post by Charlie R »

Dang Max, I'm just as curious as the rest! :D I'll be headed to the shop first thing in the morning then I'm going riding if the rain holds off and my Gold Wing starts. I'll have a report with pics tomorrow night. I promise! :D
Charlie R.
Broken Arrow, OK
Charlie R

Post by Charlie R »

IMG_1271.JPG
IMG_1272.JPG
IMG_1269.JPG
Well, sorry to report it wasn't as exciting as I thought it could be. It's just a plain old 90 cylinder with an aluminum fin conversion. Appears that it lost a wrist pin clip and damaged the cylinder. Also the lower rod bearing was WORN OUT! I bet the rod had 1/16" of play at the top and bottom of the stroke.
Anyways...here's some pics.
Charlie R.
Broken Arrow, OK
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Charlie I like it cool. In the picture I don't see that much damage. Is it going to be for sale? ======Clarence
Charlie R

Post by Charlie R »

Clarence, It is at 49.93mm now. It would probably clean up at 50.50mm. Contact me offline and we can visit, I need an early 94 pipe to finish the project I posted pics of. I probably won't ever do anything with this engine, I have too many projects now ;) If I have to be caught up to die, I'm gonna live forever!

Charlie R.
(918) 688-5498
Charlie R.
Broken Arrow, OK
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

What?,No prize for Max? Fooled again. Anyway, that was fun, thanks for the mind teasing post! :D

Maxie