Rear Shocks

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
csuhaclsbb

Rear Shocks

Post by csuhaclsbb »

Has anyone ever taken apart a rear Hodaka shock? Is it possible?
socalhodaka

Re: Rear Shocks

Post by socalhodaka »

yes
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Kelly, tell us more---I've always wondered about that. Any replaceable parts?

Max
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Not really rebuildable, but you can knock the pin out and remove the upper eye. You need to compress the spring and use something soft to hold the shaft to unscrew the upper mount to get the spring off.
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

But if replacement parts are not available, and probably aren't, about all you can do is clean the insides and reload the oil. Unless you have access to semi-generic parts that can be made to fit...
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Kelly's response was appropriate for the steel chrome body shocks which came on Hodaka motorcycles. And said in a different way, he was saying -- you can remove the springs by driving out the cross pin and unscrewing the top eye of the shock (use a spring compressor!!!), but that's it. Any further shock disassembly will be irreversible. (The shock body is crimped/welded. Seal is not replaceable. At least for non-machinist, non-welder types of folks.)

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I also tapped the roll pin to removed my rusty Wombat springs to sandblast the springs and bodies (non-rebuildable) for painting. KSM 340 is the best replacement shock I've seen for the chrome tanks Hodakas. The KSMs look like the originals but they're heavier built, with more fluid capacity, etc. and they dampen both ways.

I bought them at the Hodaka Days 2014 banquet auction, and had no prior knowledge of the brand and model so I wasn't sure if I was bidding on glorified screen door closers, or what. However, in action I find that they are a considerable upgrade, and like I already said they look like OEM if that's important for your restoration.