Dusting off a Wombat that has been sitting.

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
SpokaneHodaka

Dusting off a Wombat that has been sitting.

Post by SpokaneHodaka »

My father has offered me his Wombat, he has been the only owner. I was able to look it over today and it is all original, in really good shape considering the age. After looking at the ID chart I have verified that it is a 1972 model 94 Wombat 125.

The bike was put away somewhere between 20-25 years ago blocked up off its tires. I am not new to bikes but new to preparing one that has been sitting for so long. I have a few questions I hope those of you more knowledgeable on here can answer.

1. What, if anything, should be replaced? (i.e. gaskets, seals, bearings, cables)
2. What is the best way to polish up the chrome tank?
3. Do I need to pull the cylinder or just squirt a little oil in the spark plug hole and let it soak before kicking it over?
4. If I wanted to in the future is there a turn signal light kit that could be installed on this bike?

I intend on using this as a daily rider back and forth to work for now. As money allows I will look at possibly doing a complete frame off restoration this next fall/winter.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Dale

p.s.
Better photos when I can get it out of his garage this spring.
WP_20150123_007.jpg
WP_20150123_008.jpg
WP_20150123_009.jpg
WP_20150123_010.jpg
WP_20150123_012.jpg
WP_20150123_013.jpg
BrianZ

Re: Dusting off a Wombat that has been sitting.

Post by BrianZ »

From the pictures, that Wombat looks to be in really nice shape.

In my opinion, any bike that is 40+ years old should have all the motor seals replaced. It would be a shame to fire it up only to have an air leak and seize the motor.

As for polishing the tank, it depends on the condition. If the chrome isn't blistered from rust or peeling, just go over it with chrome polish. There is a thread on this forum regarding different polishes. If the chrome has rust, try aluminum foil. Google it to learn more.

As for squirting oil in the cylinder, it certainly can't hurt. I generally try to kick the engine over to determine if the piston is stuck. Regardless, if you replace the seals the entire top end needs to come off anyway.

As for turn signals, the model 94A came with turns signals and they could be retrofitted to your bike if you can find them. Check the parts diagrams and wiring diagrams to compare the two bikes. This will give you a better idea of what you need.

Keep us posted on your progress and ask questions. The folks on this board know Hodakas!

Brian

P.S. Consider joining the Hodaka club. The newsletter has tons of info.
bultaco4ever

Post by bultaco4ever »

I am new to owning a Hodaka. What is the Hodaka Club?
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

The web site is here:

http://www.hodakaclub.org/

The club has a newsletter "Resonator Revisited", and of course there is Hodaka Days every June in Athena Oregon.

There is also a new classified ad site for members.

Brian
SpokaneHodaka

Post by SpokaneHodaka »

Thanks Brian,
I joined the club a few days back and am currently wading through all the info I can find. I'm hoping to make it to Hodaka days this year, lucky enough to be 3.5 hours away. I've always been a fan of the Hodaka but I had no clue how many others were.
Dale
Dale Kassa
Spokane, WA
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

The tank should clean up with a bit of chrome polish and some energy. The inside of the tank is far more important. Check for rust. If you find some and can't find out a good way to eliminate it, ask here. Most Hodaka's will have rust in the tank no matter how well stored.

I also check for a free piston from the get go. Just kick lightly and listen carefully. If it is free and moves without grinding, it may just start right up. If stuck, or you can here rust grinding inside the cylinder, stop and take it apart. Mine sat outside, not even inside in a garage, from 1981 to 2007, and it started right up. It was covered with a tarp, but that hardly counts, and it sat on my deck in Alaska all that time, but still had a clean bore. The carb was empty when parked, so it didn't have to come apart to work.

The tank however was a mess inside due to atmospheric moisture. I cleaned it with radiator cleaner and BB's. Shake, Shake, Shake, and so on.

As for engine seals, it is a crap shoot. Mine were fine, yours may be shot. Do a leak down test to start. Or, just figure on a comprehensive tear down and rebuild, and take comfort in having a nearly new motor.

You will get to know your bike by taking it apart and cleaning everything.
SpokaneHodaka

Post by SpokaneHodaka »

Well it's close enough to spring, the Wombat is coming home this Saturday and the fun will really begin. I have come up with another question regarding the fuel cap. Mine is black but I have seen white ones that appear to be on model 94's, did they come with either?
Dale
Dale Kassa
Spokane, WA
tahoethumper

Post by tahoethumper »

SpokaneHodaka, I just finished cleaning the inside of my tank with Metal Rescue and it turned out amazing! I did wash it pretty thoroughly first with hot soapy water and sheetrock screws, then let it soak for 3 days with Metal Rescue (purchased at Home Depot) inside of it. I was going to put the tank through electrolysis at first, but read too many positive reviews about this product to pass it up. Great stuff!!!

Also, I would certainly go through the carb and make sure nothing is plugged or the float valve and seat isn't sticking.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Dale,
The model 94 gas caps were black.
Dale
Dale
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Be sure and rinse off the dust and dirt softly and gently before polishing . If the chrome is really good I use mothers mag wheel polish. Many of us have different favorites. Always put at least a teaspoon of oil in a dry cylinder before turning over and more oil if it wont turn over. If the bike was stored in a extreme heat as left in the sun the seals harden. The wombat looks good! ------------- Clarence
SpokaneHodaka

Post by SpokaneHodaka »

Thanks for all the help guys, and thanks Dale for the fuel cap info. I will try to get some better photos of it up here this weekend.
Dale
Dale Kassa
Spokane, WA
Charlie R

Post by Charlie R »

Very nice example of an original Wombat! I'd like to make a couple more suggestions as well. I would drain the transmission and refill it with fresh oil. Cheap 30 wt non detergent is just fine. I would zip tie/tape/rubber band the clutch lever closed to the handlebar. If the clutch plates are stuck, just leave the lever pulled in while you work on something else. This is where I start on every old bike that has sat for a while. After the bike has been run for 30 minutes or so I would drain the oil and refill with your favorite oil of choice.

After the tank and petcocks are clean, make sure the air filter hasn't turned to dust. Service or replace as necessary. Remember, when oiling the filter a little oil is all that is required. It's very easy to over oil a foam filter which can present a lot of problems when tuning the air/fuel mixture. I would suggest replacing the old brittle fuel lines and install an inline fuel filter.

I'll not go into cleaning the carb but would suggest that you remove the exhaust pipe and make sure it is unobstructed. That would include the baffle and spark arrestor. I hope these suggestions are of some use. Good luck with your project and keep us up on your progress.
Charlie R.
Broken Arrow, OK
oldmxracer

Post by oldmxracer »

OMG that thing is cherry! Lots of good advice already given. Clean it up, but I wouldn't "restore" it.
MTRob

Post by MTRob »

How fun. Since you live in Spokane and I live in Kalispell Mt, about 200 miles apart. I have two 94 Wombats for parts so if you need anything email me.
Have About any part (used) you could use. Even gas tank already cleaned out. Glad to see you join our crazy group.
MTRob
Todd

Post by Todd »

Dale I live in Spokane also. Looks like that bike needs a ton of work so I'm more than willing to take if off your hands. LOL
just kidding! Very nice example. I'm sure you know there is a bunch of Hodaka owners in Spokane and every so often we get together. I can let you know when the next gathering comes up.

Not to hijack the thread but MTRob or anybody have a Wombat frame with a title? I'm working on my bike to get it ready for HD's poker run but don't want to mess with the state to go through the titling process.

Cheers
Todd
SpokaneHodaka

Post by SpokaneHodaka »

I am understanding more and more every day why Hodaka is the bike to ride, it's not just a great bike but an awesome group. Thank you all for the great information. I can't wait to meet some of you at HD hopefully this year with or without my bike.

Todd, what can I say but thanks and nice try lol. I would be very interested in getting together with some locals. Give me a heads up some time you are getting together.

MTRob I will keep you in mind as I start cleaning her up and see if anything needs replaced. I am half tempted to come up with an entire second bike I can do a total frame off resto so I can leave mine as original as possible.

Again thank you all and I will keep photos and updates coming.
Dale
Dale Kassa
Spokane, WA
MTRob

Post by MTRob »

Dale
The two wombats I have could easily be restored if you took the time to do it. About 89% of the bikes are there.
I restored one of three and its on the Hodaka calender August. I would willing to part with them pretty cheap, but won't
ship them. You would have to come to Montana to get them. I could email pictures if needed. Don't have titles on any of them.
Thanks
MTRob
Charlie R

Post by Charlie R »

MT Rob, do you have a early 94 pipe amongst your stuff? I'm trying finish up my project 94. Contact me offline if you do please.
Charlie R.
Broken Arrow, OK
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

MTROB Hi Rob just Clarence here, give me a call if you would. 261=9326
MTRob

Post by MTRob »

Clarence I'll call you sunday.
MTRob