the differance combat verses super combat cylinder

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
taber hodaka

the differance combat verses super combat cylinder

Post by taber hodaka »

I kinda know the older ace 90/100. Could someone tell me the difference between the combat wombat and the super combat cylinder ?? thank you ---------Clarence. No snow in Montana
BrianZ

Re: the differance combat verses super combat cylinder

Post by BrianZ »

Hi Clarence. For starters, the 95 is piston port and the 97 is reed valve. The 97 has a higher exhaust port and the intake manifold studs are spaced further apart.

Brian
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Compare port timing specs on both cylinders. The differences are clear.

As for the differences noted above, they are also night and day, although you can I suppose turn the old piston port bike into a reed timed cylinder by adding the reed block (assuming there is one that fits which I don't know off hand but am willing to assume is out there somewhere), and by adding all the porting changes that go along with a reed valve cylinder, and by cutting the piston skirt accordingly to match the reed timed pistons.

Seems to me that the later 03 Wombat is closer to the Super Combat. It is already reed valve induction, I think the cylinder is alumaferric, but it was also oil injection, so without parts side by side, I am not sure how to interpret the published intake, exhaust, and transfer durations on the 03. The numbers look to me like exactly half of what I would expect, so they may be exhaust 172 degrees, transfer 129 degrees, and intake controlled by reed

Combat Wombat versus Super Combat specs are:

CW. / SC
Intake duration. 148degrees. / Listed as 360 controlled by reed

Exhaust duration. 179 degrees. / 170 degrees

Transfer duration 128 degrees. / 133 degrees 44 minutes

Compression. 8:1 atmospheric. / 8.6 actual

Peak Horsepower at. 8,400. / 10,000

So, if you are trying to turn Combat Wombat into a Super Combat more or less, I would suggest converting to reed induction, and having the cylinder professionally ported or you won't get what there is to get from changing to reeds. Perhaps someone more familiar with the cylinder on the 03 Wombat could say if it is a candidate for hopping up.
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

The o3 cylinder is a great choice for hop up since the exaust port begins way low 30mm compared to the SC at 26mm . This gives you the option to build your ppower band low or high or in between also it has mor piston support on the intake side , you can make what ever you waant out of it.

Rich
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

Oh also any of the early reeds for the iron cylinder 4 bolt pattern will fit the combat wombat , I have also changed the bolt spacing on them to use the late reed manifold .

Rich
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

So, Clarence, what brought you to the question? Special project in mind?
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

I will show my Observed Trials roots here, but puhleaze do not start with a Wombat 03 cylinder if you are planning on hopping-up to an exhaust port height of 28mm or less. There are very few of those cylinders available and they are just about perfect for trials engines with their 30mm exhaust port height. If you are planning on 28mm or shorter exhaust port height, a Combat Wombat cylinder is a perfectly good starting point to do what you want.

The Wombat 03 cylinder will never be a useful trials cylinder after the exhaust port has been raised, since it can't be lowered back to stock -- and the all-round really good trail manners of the 03 cylinder also get generally comprised when the exhaust port is raised.

Ducking for cover,

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Clarence, still wondering why you asked, and which way the idea needs to go. Are you planning something exotic?
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

Your safe Ed , Im not shooting .

Rich
AndyL

Post by AndyL »

My $0.02, and lots of opinion here:
My favorite set up for a Super Combat frame:
Combat cylinder,
Reeds (Enduro Cross kit),
a bit of transfer port smoothing work (just making it move the air easier)
Cushioned primary
Super Combat head
SC exhaust spigot
PVL ignition,
34mm Carb with non stock filter/sock.

I have raced 8 Super Combat's over the years and 5 were set up like this. They are by far my favorite, for a few reasons:
my size 220# in gear,
because I tend to keep the rev's below 10,000 RPM (where the SC makes peak power)
I dont fan the clutch coming out of corners near as much as others (Rad Randy, Phast Phil) tell me I should.

Seems this set up has a bit more torque down low than the stock SC motor and for the way I ride, it seems to help me be smoother (which is faster) in/out of the corners, and up hills where my weight seems to play a big part.
Andy #14u
MOVMX, AHRMA, & AMA