Ace 90 Build Video

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Pep

Ace 90 Build Video

Post by Pep »

So I was talking to Kelly awhile back about time lapse video stuff, and thought I’d give it a shot.
Full story: I always make a sharpie note on the right case to keep me from forgetting to install the kick bore o-ring before sealing the cases. This time, I saw the note once I flipped the sealed cases. So with a quick take-apart-put-together ahead, I pulled out the GoPro.

I was not as diligent taking photos of the whole bike build, but there’s some of that at the end.
*Not in any way intended to be instructional - just fun.
And I’m sure I’ll offend the real mechanics with shoddy techniques and possibly fracture the universe by not doing things exactly like YOU do it…but I think we’ll all survive :)
P.S. I do prefer lock nuts on the clutch instead of wire, but the screw length on the 90 clutch was not amenable to it.
Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYosjCkczPU
hodakamax

Re: Ace 90 Build Video

Post by hodakamax »

I think the last thing I said to you in person was "Love your movies!" Excellent job--I found myself smiling--Fun, Keep up the good work! Hey, the bike looks great too!

Max
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Laurie, that was awesome. Great job.
Kelly
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Great stuff, Laurie. I love the way you blend the music with your videos. The bike looks terrific. We'll plan on running the video at HD15, so everyone can learn!
Bob
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Wow. Nice job.

Brian
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

If that is a casual effort at video, you should be doing Hollywood. Which brand of clutch basket tool are you using?
Pep

Post by Pep »

Thanks guys, so glad you liked it. It really was a fairly low-effort video.
AZ, the clutch holder is just a generic - probably Motion Pro. It's held up great, and I really like the two sided option (triangular side can be just the ticket for certain clutch baskets, gears, flywheels etc.), while the round nubs are perfect for smaller stuff. I bet it cost maybe $20.
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Thanks. Didn't know they existed. Still using home made tools from another century.
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

I think this is the tool Laurie is using: http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0008/
or lots of options on eBay with some being $23.39 with free shipping. Thinking about one myself as I to am still using a home made tool.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
Gary G

Post by Gary G »

That was a great job. Thanks for posting.
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Ordered new tool. Thanks, Laurie, for showing us how it is supposed to be done. Since I am in the middle of a rebuild, I will put it to immediate use.

Just a thought, if you can lay text over some of your video, add text stating torque specs used, especially for the clutch nut, which should not be over tightened.
Pep

Post by Pep »

Good deal, AZ - glad to be of help. The adjustable nature of that tool is really nice.

Initially I did exactly what you said on the video - listed torque specs, shim placement, etc. - but it came off as instructional, and I really have no business instructing anyone on anything.

So I went with something light and fun. Folks that want to do a rebuild should have a manual anyway.
lonedave

Post by lonedave »

Awesome video!
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Eweleen says "Clever!"

Max
rough rider

Post by rough rider »

Dang Laurie, it usually takes me longer than that to build an engine! LOL Nice job, thanks for sharing. Richard
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great job Laurie !! Very good and very creative.
Thanks for sharing
Paul
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Clean, neat and tidy, all stars for you Laurie. We always enjoy what we get to see you do!----------Clarence
MTRob

Post by MTRob »

Great We can all use this video. What happened to the air pump under the tank (not being picky) LOL
Loved it
MTRob
Pep

Post by Pep »

Good eye Rob!
Not to worry, the pump was the last thing I cleaned up - now mounted securely on the bike.
Test ride was perfect, and if the sun makes an appearance today, she'll have a photo shoot for the sale ad.
Laurie
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Hot Dang! I finally carved off some time to watch the video. Loved it!

The techie in me wants to know -- what was the frame rate you set for the time lapse?
. . . and what movie editor do you use?

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Pep

Post by Pep »

Thanks Ed, glad you liked it!

The frame rate was variable - I just manually scrubbed every clip to match the pace of the music. It could have been done more scientifically, but I'm more of a "feel" person than a calculator.

When I owned a PC (for years) I really liked Sony Vegas - it's a professional level editor (and therefore pretty steep on the learning curve) - but a very capable, versatile editor. It could do anything.

Now that I have a Mac, I'm using the pre-installed iMovie. Simple, (at times frustratingly limiting), but does a fine job for plain projects.
I wish I knew more about other editors to recommend, but I don't.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Laurie--While watching your neat video I could not help noticing how nice those parts looked. Any special processes that you're keeping secret? (besides elbow grease?)--Just wondering-- :)

Max
Pep

Post by Pep »

I wish I had special processes...no parts washer, no blasting (I have bead and soda, but don't like them around engine stuff), certainly no Jr Mechanic to handle tedious work...

Just good old fashioned elbow grease (liberally applied).

I have found that nylon scouring pads are the best thing for getting head and cylinder fins clean - still tedious manual work, but best results of the things I've tried.

I bet the folks that are turning around lots of engines and bikes have some time-saving tricks.
Laurie
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Back when I worked at a shop we used to toss parts into a 5 gallon tub of carb cleaner. I have no idea what is in it, but it is known to the State of California to cause morons to become politicians. But boy did it get stuff clean.