Mods from the present

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Zyx

Mods from the present

Post by Zyx »

Offering a $1 gift certificate to my next garage sale to anyone who can correctly identify which model Hodaka frame this is.
image.jpg
image.jpg
rtboone

Re: Mods from the present

Post by rtboone »

Could that be from an Ace 100 B+ with considerable modifications--extra gussets on the down tubes--added foot peg mounts from a RT---added Air box frame like a 98 Super Rat---extended rear fender loop---scads of lightening holes---removal of stock brackets----Lengthened and gusseted swing arm?
Looks like a lot of work went into this custom frame what ever it is.
That's my best guess. Thanks for posting a puzzler.

Tom
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Not bad Tom. Anyone else?
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Since Tom was so close, and no one else wanted to guess, the frame and swing arm are Ace 100B, sold as a 1971, converted to Webco 125 for the 1974 season with lengthened swing arm, laid down shocks, brackets cut off or drilled for lightness (must have saved all of two ounces). Recently, however, converted to simulate a model 97 by adding kicker tubes, lengthening the rear frame hoop, adding stress brackets here and there, adding gussets to mount 97- style foot pegs and foot brake assembly, lengthening the swing arm another 3/4 inch, gusseting the swing arm for rigidity, relocating the front seat mount to accommodate the 97 air box, and so on. The only references I had were one magazine advertisement for the Super Combat from 1976, a couple of photos from the internet, and two original model 97 parts -- the foot brake pedal assembly and the air box and boot. Turns out that there are lots of differences between the B and the SC frames, but it took months of studying photos and parts diagrams to identify the differences, then make up card stock mock ups, and then cut shape and weld from plain stock all the tubes and gussets.

Add a Super Combat engine from eBay, an HT3 pipe, new tires, aluminum rear rim, Clarke tank, newly rebuilt forks, and so on and it is a different bike from the one I raced 41 years ago. Much faster. Perhaps not as fast as the only Super Combat I ever rode back in 1977, but getting there, and anyway, my memories from the 70's are fading and not reliable. I have wanted a model 97 since the day I tuned up and rode the model 97 my boss took in trade on an Elsinore in '77. He offered it to me but wanted far too much ($800) so I passed on it. Thirty eight years and $2,000 plus later, I have a replica. Sort of. Should have bought the one back then and saved a bunch of money, but this has been interesting to figure out.

Tom gets a $1 gift certificate to use if I ever have a garage sale.
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Not complete in this photo but you get the idea.
image.jpg
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Properly nasty and serious looking; nice job!
Bob
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Looking extra good and Max could not miss your cool RD/w pipes in the background! Hodakas and RD/RZs were the most fun things I ever owned. Anyway,good job on the project! Carry on as they say and keep us posted.

Maxie
mac

Post by mac »

Nice build,looks great!
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Except for the DG pipes, tires, a replaced stator and electronic volt regulator, an LED headlight, and a new seat cover, the RD is original. You cant read the license plate in the photo, but it is a 1981 Iowa plate. Both bikes were toted around the country over the years, and both spent 20 years sitting on my back deck in Alaska. It's a wonder they survived. I just recently found the title for the RD, so planning to get it relicensed for use. Also found the title and bill of sale for the Hodaka. I guess I should have them framed as historical documents.
atc250r

Post by atc250r »

Both look to be sweet rides
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

On the Hodaka, those are my original Preston Petty Baja fenders from 1973. Still working fine.
rough rider

Post by rough rider »

Yes, I think the Preston Petty Baja fenders look the best on the front too. Nice modified MXer you got there. Richard
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

I would say that' a cool looking little bike!

Brian
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

I will take a photo once it is back together. In the shot above the HT3 terminates under the tank and there are no number plates over the air box. It was together just a week ago, but I didn't think to take a photo of the running bike before I tore it apart. Good thing I took it apart though. Several scary things inside. A tablespoon of metal shavings, a teaspoon of black metallic goo in the countershaft bore, 7 instead of 9 clutch discs, a failing second gear on the mainshaft, and the crank bearing lubed by fuel mix was blue. If I remember right, steel blues around 600 degrees. Ouch. On the plus side, I now know the inside of this engine and they are simpler to work on than I remembered.