Super Rat ground question

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
SuperRat01

Super Rat ground question

Post by SuperRat01 »

I had my Super Rat (98) frame powder coated. I am putting the bike back together now. I was wondering if I need to scrape the powder coating off of the holes where the ignition coil and the CDI unit mounts to allow for a good "ground" connection or is this not necesary? Thanks, Linc
BrianZ

Re: Super Rat ground question

Post by BrianZ »

Remove the powder coating from one of the ignition coil mounting tabs so that the ignition coil will get a good ground. Also remove the powder coating from one of the engine mounts so that the engine will get a good ground. This allows a good return path for the current flowing from the spark plug back to the coil. The CDI box really doesn't matter.

Brian
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Another ground option for grounding the engine is found in the newer CDI kits, which provide for a single black wire running from the ground connection on the ignition coil under the tank to a gripper clip on the cylinder head. This provides a short, low resistance ground return so that the ignition makes full potential. Attached are photos of the one for my aftermarket model 97 ignition. This is easy to add to any system, and eliminates issues caused by lack of ground or high resistance grounds through the frame. Clips can be found at an auto parts store.
image.jpg
image.jpg
SuperRat01

Post by SuperRat01 »

Thanks yall, I will try this. Linc