Did I pay too much

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
RKinSC

Did I pay too much

Post by RKinSC »

My big brother had a Super Rat when I was little and always wanted one. After searching Craigslist for a couple months I found this Combat Wombat for 1200.00, got it for 950.00. It usually crank on the first kick and runs great, all chrome is great accept the piece the front fender mounts to. It's a little rusty. I have two questions, Did I pay too much and did they come with tail lights? The rear fender has three holes in it and you can see where a light or something was mounted. It even has a rubber grummet in a hole closer to the seat for wires. Is there somethng I can put there that would be period? What could I sell it for after cleaning?
Attachments
wombat.jpg
socalhodaka

Re: Did I pay too much

Post by socalhodaka »

You paid what you paid? do you think you got a good deal or paid to much? Why do you want to sell it? you said you always wanted a Hodaka like your brother. The rear fender is wrong and if you want it to be correct find the right fender, no holes and a little shorter, another part that is missing alot is the complete rear pipe bracket and its also missing the rear number plates and bracket. Where are you from? and what do you want to do with it?
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

From your forum monicker it appears you are from South Carolina. Market value is not constant across the country. My guess would be you have just identified fair market value for your bike by negotiating an agreeable price. Cleaning alone won't change the value, and restoring it to like original condition will raise the value, but at a price that will probably leave you upside down. Restoring vintage equipment nearly always costs more than it is worth. No one is getting rich restoring old bikes. Or cars. Or anything else.

I don't believe the combat came with lights as it was intended basically as a woods warrior. Lights can be added if you wish, but it requires parts the cost of which will not be reflected in added market value. I would say just enjoy it for what it is worth. Clean it, ride it, join the crowd. There are not so many good examples of 40 year old bikes anymore, and you got one in good condition. The value of it is in its use and enjoyment, not in its collectible value.
RKinSC

Post by RKinSC »

I'm from South Carolina. I don't want to sell it, was just wondering. I think I will just change the fender. The guy that sold it had three more Hodakas and a ton of parts so maybe he as one. Thanks For the info.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

For what you got and the condition it's in, you did fine. Seen worse at bigger prices, as long as you're happy with the purchase, you're good to go.
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

RKinSC wrote:I'm from South Carolina. I don't want to sell it, was just wondering. I think I will just change the fender. The guy that sold it had three more Hodakas and a ton of parts so maybe he as one. Thanks For the info.
I have a couple CW and that one you have is my favorite, the lipped rims and flam thrower pipe. Take some more photos from each side. How is the tank inside? and is that rear bracket on the pipe complete. I have a few correct fenders and a couple of the brackets for the pipe.
Kelly
RKinSC

Post by RKinSC »

Socal, Inside the tank looks as clean as the outside from what I can see. Other than the fender I think all I'm missing is the chain guide and guard. Is the muffler suppose to have a spring on it?
Attachments
fender.jpg
pipe.jpg
wombat1.jpg
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Looks like the clamp is there and should be two springs on the bottom, bad thing is your pipe has been butchered of the original end. Also the handle bars don't look stock from the photo