wombat 125 stuck in 5th gear

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
hodakahagg

wombat 125 stuck in 5th gear

Post by hodakahagg »

don't have my manual yet,so i don't wanna crack it open just yet.any thoughts?thanks.
BRYAN
Charlie R

Re: wombat 125 stuck in 5th gear

Post by Charlie R »

Bryan,
I suspect a problem in the shift case. First,I would remove the inspection plate from the shifter case and see if the pin on the actuator lever is engaged in the control rod properly. When engaging 5th gear, the control rod should be nearly all the way in the counter shaft. 1st gear and 5th gear is the greatest distance the actuator lever must travel to change a gear. The actuator lever pin It might be out (or partially out) of the control rod. If that's not the problem, check in and we can go a little deeper. I hope this is more helpful than confusing!

Charlie R.
Charlie R.
Broken Arrow, OK
hodakahagg

Post by hodakahagg »

Charlie,
thanks,i'll check it out.i did look in the inspection hole when i got the bike,it had been sitting a LONG time,looked a little moist in side so i laid the grease gun to it.might have over done it?i got the bike a cuppla weeks ago just glad it runs!!i'll dig into after work and let ya know.thanks again!!
BRYAN
Firehawkmph

Post by Firehawkmph »

Bryan ,
Get yourself a workshop manual for your bike if you don't have one now. Extremely helpful and well written.
Mike Hawkins
hodakahagg

Post by hodakahagg »

Charlie,
still no manual in the mail SFP!!so i dug in any way,ratchet spring was in two pieces could be a problem no?
Charlie R

Post by Charlie R »

I would think that would definitely cause problems :P While you have the shift cover off you can put your mind to ease as far as a possible internal problems. Place a milk crate or something similar under the engine cradle tubes so that the rear wheel is off the ground. This will allow you to rock the rear wheel. While rocking the wheel with one hand, gently pull the control rod with your other hand until it is all the way out (1st gear). Then while rocking the rear wheel as before, you can gently press the control rod inward and should be able to engage 2nd,3rd,4th,then 5th. Along the way you will find that there are about 4 neutrals if you don't fully engage the gear. This is why maintenance and adjustment of the Hodaka shift case is critical. This will be a whole lot clearer when you get the manual and spend some quality "bonding" time with your Hodie!

Charlie R
Charlie R.
Broken Arrow, OK
hodakahagg

Post by hodakahagg »

Charlie,
screw the milk crate,this baby 's hanging from a chain fall, talk about easy acess!any way i think i can score a spring local & be back in the dirt by friday thanks for all your input! i'll let you know how it shakes out.
BRYAN