Love that sound

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
SpokaneHodaka

Love that sound

Post by SpokaneHodaka »

Ok I do love the beautiful notes that come out of a model 94 Wombat but not sure my neighbors will at 5:30am when I am heading off to work this summer. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to quiet it down a little without any permanent/destructive effects? I want to be able to keep her stock looking for those times when everyone can enjoy her "music".
Dale Kassa
Spokane, WA
Zyx

Re: Love that sound

Post by Zyx »

You could look into the "dB Snorkel." Intended for two strokes to quiet the tone without losing power.
dcooke007

Post by dcooke007 »

I don't remember the 94 Wombat being that loud. Does it have the original exhaust pipe and spark arrestor? Here is a link to the parts illustration.
http://www.strictlyhodaka.com/SearchRes ... p?Cat=2119

Danny
SpokaneHodaka

Post by SpokaneHodaka »

The bike is all 100% original and I don't find it that loud but currently living in town I'm concered I may wake the neighbors. I may just try it and see if anyone says anything.
Dale Kassa
Spokane, WA
dcooke007

Post by dcooke007 »

May be that is why my neighbors gave me the look back in the day. The difference was I had a ace 100b equipped with a super rat expansion chamber. That was the loudest motorcycle I have ever heard. Sounded good but not to the neighbors.

Danny
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Back in the mid-70s we used to ride in unauthorized areas. I had a stock Ace 100B+.
Our bikes were quiet enough to get in and get out along the trail before anyone could react quickly enough to stop us. We did have a few encounters, but we were able to skirt them. Foolish youngsters we were. I was 27. My riding buddies were 36 & 45. :roll:
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

I like Danny's comment "the loudest motorcycle he ever heard"--I can relate to that from the past--I think I had a few of those! My Circle F on my 94A requires earplugs today and I was wondering if anyone had any comments on the HT3 pipe in relation to volume. Are they quiet enough for the street and is there a spark arrestor in the muffler? Speak louder--I can't hear you!
Thanks!
Maxie
Dale

Post by Dale »

Maxie,
I have the HT3 with the FMF spark arrestor on my 98 Rat. It is way quieter than the original down pipe with its glass pack silencer. Quieter, but a more tinny tone if that makes sense. But... still way too loud for street use.

Paul now has several options for mufflers to place onto the tip of the HT3 pipe.
Dale
Dale
Firehawkmph

Post by Firehawkmph »

Record about five minutes of a big barking dog. Then blast it over your stereo pointed out the window for 7 days prior to the first day you will be riding the bike. Don't play it on the day you ride the bike. Your neighbors will be so happy the damned dog stopped barking that they won't even notice your little two strokes buzzing off to work.
Mike Hawkins
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Funny Mike!--My story is after I got out of the Hodaka and racing business the kid down the road began riding a Briggs powered minibike (with no muffler of course) up and down our road continuously. My wife told me I should do something to stop him. All I could say is there is nothing I can do--It's my punishment for driving my neighbors nuts in the past--What can I say? What goes around comes around. Guilty.

Max
Last edited by hodakamax on Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

At idle, the HT3 is remarkably quiet, but it wakes up along the way. I would agree it is just a bit loud for street use. My Yamaha RD350B with DG pipes is not exactly quiet, however, and it is a street bike, two stroke twin from 1975. Still, I think the HT3 under acceleration is louder than the DG's. I would want something a bit lower toned for regular street riding. I used to use one of the two silencer tips from a VW muffler in the neck of the stock 100B pipe, which worked better than it should by dropping the tone lower in the octave scale. The deeper tone isn't as penetrating as a small diameter stinger with silencer.

But the stock pipe with the original spark arrester in it should be quiet enough for use on the road.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

AZ,thanks for the info--this is getting off the subject (but you brought it up first) I too was a member of the RD/RZ club--Here's a shot of my RZ-350 I built in the past--Talk about loud--even with mufflers. It sounded like a dual engine Hodaka! What fun--I don't know what I was thinking when I sold it. Anyway back to the subject, I guess I should just find something stock for the street. Thanks for jogging my memory on the RD/RZ. (I also had a RD-250) It was all big fun!
later--
Maxie
Attachments
RZ-350.jpg
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

I am the only owner for both my Hodaka and my RD. Figured once it was paid for, why sell it. I put the RD together from the crate while teching for Yamaha in 74-75. Still runs fine.