Exhaust Pipe -- Seeking Advice (photo)

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
RHall1972

Exhaust Pipe -- Seeking Advice (photo)

Post by RHall1972 »

Looking for suggestions about the best way to secure the pipe to the frame. It's bolted on at the very rear, but still has lots of wiggle. Thanks in advance for ideas.
Attachments
Joe Ace Rat w Fender3.JPG
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Exhaust Pipe -- Seeking Advice (photo)

Post by Bullfrog »

Commonly there is a mount tab on the pipe which allows for a mount bracket to bolt up to the pipe and to either the upper or lower air cleaner mount bolts. The pipe in the photo really needs such a tab/bracket.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
RHall1972

Post by RHall1972 »

Thanks, Ed. Looks like a bit of welding in my future.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

how about the superrat bracket tapered. also new exhaust gasket and tighten. Clarence
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Clarence brings up a good point. A hollow, truncated cone with a bracket which reaches to a frame mount point (like the original Super Rat had - take a look at the Illustrated Parts List) could be fabricated. In that way no welding on the existing pipe would be required.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
RHall1972

Post by RHall1972 »

I like that idea much better. Putting out feelers right now for a spare "cone" bracket from a discarded 93 Rat pipe. Might not be an exact fit, but just eyeballing it, looks like it would work. Thanks Clarence, Thanks Ed.
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

I used a "U" bracket from Home Depot and a scrape of metal and it looks works great, but my bike is ratty. I'll change it if a bracket comes up on ebay cheap enough.
-Forrest
94 Hodaka Wombat, Combat Toad w 95 frame + 02 Road Toad frame, and a brood of old Honda's.
http://www.goomer.com/honda/
RHall1972

Post by RHall1972 »

Forrest, Do you happen to have a photo of your bike that shows how you configured the "U" bracket support?

--Russell
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

I can try to take a picture tonight if I have time. It is actually a Combat Wombat thru pipe, but I'm guessing what I did would work for you.
94 Hodaka Wombat, Combat Toad w 95 frame + 02 Road Toad frame, and a brood of old Honda's.
RHall1972

Post by RHall1972 »

That would be great, Forrest. I really do appreciate it.
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

Hope these help, feel free to ask questions. There are a number of different size U clamps available, I was thinking of using some hard rubber, or gas line as an insulator around the U bolt, but it was a good fit. I wouldn't say this is Race Worthy, and seat clearance is tight on mine (I could have done it better, next time) But you can certainly you can put your own spin on it.

Also no extra holes drilled, I used what was there.
-Forrest
Attachments
IMG_1497.jpg
IMG_1496.jpg
IMG_1494.jpg
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

If you only have one hole to work with, you can make a "J" bracket by cutting off the threaded part on the off side of the U bolt.
RHall1972

Post by RHall1972 »

Forrest,

Thanks so much for taking the time and trouble to shoot and post photos -- very clear and very helpful. I'm not sure that exact configuration will work for my bike, but you've given me an idea I think will work, using a U-bolt like yours plus the Hodaka OEM U-bolt that attaches to the frame and a rear muffler backing plate. The exhaust on my bike is already attached at the very rear, but additional support is needed near the center. As you say, I'll be putting my "spin" on your configuration. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

--Russell
Carmine77s

Post by Carmine77s »

The SR' pipes I have had had a round tapered ring about 3/4" wide that would go around the pipe and bolt to the frame tubing where the frame comes up. This may be difficult with your pipe. Possibly weld a flange to the back side of the pipe with a couple of small holes you could run a small u bolt thru with a piece of rubber in between.
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

Glad I could finally help someone for a change on the Forum.

Also take a look at the original Parts Schematics and base it on that.

-Forrest
RHall1972 wrote:Forrest,

Thanks so much for taking the time and trouble to shoot and post photos -- very clear and very helpful. I'm not sure that exact configuration will work for my bike, but you've given me an idea I think will work, using a U-bolt like yours plus the Hodaka OEM U-bolt that attaches to the frame and a rear muffler backing plate. The exhaust on my bike is already attached at the very rear, but additional support is needed near the center. As you say, I'll be putting my "spin" on your configuration. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

--Russell