Hodaka Days '015

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
thrownchain

Hodaka Days '015

Post by thrownchain »

What are the dates for this year ? also are there going to be any "special lodging" rates this year? May still have room for a couple more bikes if anyone needs the service.
Dale

Re: Hodaka Days '015

Post by Dale »

Always the last "full" weekend in June. That makes it the 25th through the 28th this year.
Dale
motovate

Re: Hodaka Days '015 - Another Question -

Post by motovate »

I was looking over all the web sites I could find and can not find a page listing the requirement for all of the rides/races. I chased these questions a few years ago and since I am once again hoping /planning on a Hodaka Days trip this year with a Hodaka - I'd like to be sure I am current on requirements.

This is what I understand -

For the Bad Rock ride - The main requirement is dual rear shock/ drum brakes and spark arrester, air cooled. There is no CC limit because there was no CC limit back in the day.

Are lights, license plate required?

For the Hodaka Only Parade are license plates required?

For the Scramble/Trials the bike must be Hodaka and 250cc or less, dual rear shock, drum brakes and spark arrester - is this correct?

For the Poker run - Bike must be Dual Sport/ street licensed/working lights, any brand but dual shock/drum brake/air cooled under 250cc - is this correct??? Is there a MFG Year requirement or does any year air cooled/dual rear shock/drum brake street bike qualify?

An example in my case. I'm working on a Dirt Squirt deal. I'd like to ride it in the parade, run the Bad rock, scramble & trials for the fun of it until it or I break. I doubt I will have it licensed enough for the Poker Ride. I still have an old Suzuki SP 500 - dual shock/air cooled/drum brake/ licensed Rat bike. I'm wondering if I brought it up can I ride it on the Poker run? As I remember the answer a few years ago was 250cc or less.

I'd much rather have a couple of Hodies to do everything with - I think I'll be lucky to get one. The plan this year is to get a Hodie and get to Hodaka Days - been that for about 10 years now!

Appreciate the input.

LBM :mrgreen:
JayLael

Post by JayLael »

Much to my amazement no one has chimed in on this subject. I can't answer all of your questions, but the trials event is my responsibility, so I DO know about that. The bikes ridden in the trials event must be Hodaka or Yamaguchi powered, although no one has ever ridden a Yamaguchi in the trials event yet. The bike does not require a spark arrestor for the trials event as far as I know, but the trail ride definitely does require a valid spark arrestor.
motovate

Post by motovate »

I'm a bit surprised also. Might be because it's been going on long enough every one knows! I did find a statement about 2015 to the effect -basically the same as 2014. And I did finally hit on where to look in Pauls info on Hodaka days 2014 and it said 250cc on the poker ride. I'm probably the only one who would want ride what I have as long as it is dual shock, air cooled, drum brake on the poker run just so I can enjoy all Hodaka Days has too offer. But it's not that big a thing. I'm thinking I can use all the lights off the SP for the Squirt and make them easy to remove/put on for when I need to putt around on the pavement.

Are you still making chain rollers? If so I'd be interested in one for my 01 Dirt Squirt.

Thanks - LBM 8-)

JayLael wrote:Much to my amazement no one has chimed in on this subject. I can't answer all of your questions, but the trials event is my responsibility, so I DO know about that. The bikes ridden in the trials event must be Hodaka or Yamaguchi powered, although no one has ever ridden a Yamaguchi in the trials event yet. The bike does not require a spark arrestor for the trials event as far as I know, but the trail ride definitely does require a valid spark arrestor.
JayLael

Post by JayLael »

The organizers really have no trouble filling up the Bad Rock ride, so they'd prefer to keep out the TT 50s XR 500s etc. Several years ago a rider was hurt badly and was mounted on a big sled. Apparently riding other brands leads to catastrophic bike accidents. :)

Yes, I make them to order, and have all the parts currently. They now are at $100,00 plus $6.00 shipping.
motovate

Post by motovate »

Thanks Jay - I've come to the conclusion that I'll just strip the lights, controls - things I can use from the old SP piggy and use them on the Dirt Squirt for putting on the street and then pull them for the dirt stuff. I don't use the SP anyway picked it up in a trade and never really liked it. Keeps it all Hodaka that way.

LBM

JayLael wrote:The organizers really have no trouble filling up the Bad Rock ride, so they'd prefer to keep out the TT 50s XR 500s etc. Several years ago a rider was hurt badly and was mounted on a big sled. Apparently riding other brands leads to catastrophic bike accidents. :)

Yes, I make them to order, and have all the parts currently. They now are at $100,00 plus $6.00 shipping.
motovate

Post by motovate »

Jay - Any requirement for trials tires on the trials or is it run what you brung as long as it is Hodaka and the rider is AMA compliant???

Thanks - LBM :?:
JayLael wrote:Much to my amazement no one has chimed in on this subject. I can't answer all of your questions, but the trials event is my responsibility, so I DO know about that. The bikes ridden in the trials event must be Hodaka or Yamaguchi powered, although no one has ever ridden a Yamaguchi in the trials event yet. The bike does not require a spark arrestor for the trials event as far as I know, but the trail ride definitely does require a valid spark arrestor.
JayLael

Post by JayLael »

In the enduro clas we allow knoby tires. The other classes specify trials tires, and the only trial tires allowed in the enduro clas would crappy nitto type trials tires that came on Road Toad, Wombat etc. IE no trials tires that would provide an advantage over knobbies on an enduro bike. This is the spirit of what we have in mind.
motovate

Post by motovate »

Thanks Jay - So keeping in mind that I've never ran a Trials and I don't ride much of anything any more (40 years since I ran any race - you know grey haired , toothless old fat man noobie). Does it make much of a difference if I ride this dirt squirt in a trials in the Trail/enduro class with 21"/18"knobbies or with the stock rims 19"/17" with Shinko SR 241 (picture) in the novice class - probably dabbing all over the place on either class. The idea being that I can get the Shinkos for about $64 plus shipping and just change out the stock wheels for the Trials and back to the 21/18 for the rest of whatever other rides I do. I'm thinking changing out the wheels is easy enough and the $64 is doable if it makes a difference.

I'm pretty sure the Shinko SR 241's are waffle enough of a tread for the novice class and no a "real" Trials tire.

Thanks - pretty soon all the parts I ordered will be here and I'll be to busy to think about questions!!! :lol:

JayLael wrote:In the enduro clas we allow knoby tires. The other classes specify trials tires, and the only trial tires allowed in the enduro clas would crappy nitto type trials tires that came on Road Toad, Wombat etc. IE no trials tires that would provide an advantage over knobbies on an enduro bike. This is the spirit of what we have in mind.
JayLael

Post by JayLael »

I think I would just keep the 18 and 21 combo with knobbies for trials and everything else. The Hodaka Days trial is geared toward having fun, so that's why there is a enduro class, just for people like you. The sections should be easy enough, compared to real trail situations so the main thing is to show up and have fun. Leave the pressure cooker stuff to the very small handful of us who take this thing WAY too seriously. (ahem) If you really want the trials tire option for pavement use, it also provides and opportunity to change the rear sprocket, as the gearing is far more important to be set up right for any of the events. My Combat Wombat enduro has two different rear cogs available and this is just for the trail ride which has miles of top gear on gravel roads, which really suck on a bike that's geared for a 35 mph top speed.
motovate

Post by motovate »

OK - sounds like a plan. I'll look over what I have for gearing now when I switch over to the larger tires - I suspect I'll need to regear it for the taller 18" rear tire any way. 8-)

LBM

Thanks -

LBM

JayLael wrote:I think I would just keep the 18 and 21 combo with knobbies for trials and everything else. The Hodaka Days trial is geared toward having fun, so that's why there is a enduro class, just for people like you. The sections should be easy enough, compared to real trail situations so the main thing is to show up and have fun. Leave the pressure cooker stuff to the very small handful of us who take this thing WAY too seriously. (ahem) If you really want the trials tire option for pavement use, it also provides and opportunity to change the rear sprocket, as the gearing is far more important to be set up right for any of the events. My Combat Wombat enduro has two different rear cogs available and this is just for the trail ride which has miles of top gear on gravel roads, which really suck on a bike that's geared for a 35 mph top speed.
fullchoke

Post by fullchoke »

We have really enjoyed Hodaka Days the last 2 years. The questions posted above on bike requirements for certain events are very interesting. The bad rock ride is a lot of fun and part of the fun of riding in it is seeing vintage bikes of all brands. Because this is a Hodaka event there should be no limitations on Hodaka's but limiting other brands to 1975 and earlier would further promote the nostalgia of the event and also trim the number of the participants since this was an issue last year. We are looking forward to this years event very much.

GM
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

It is open to any bikes
DSC_6512.JPG
DSC_6514.JPG
DSC_6476.JPG
DSC_6519.JPG
DSC_6502.JPG
motovate

Post by motovate »

As I remember a few years ago when I first ask - the Bad Rock Trail Ride is open to all makes as long as they are air cooled , drum brakes, dual shock because that is the way it was originally back when it was actually a race. There wasn't/isn't(?) a cc limit for the same reason. I think that is pretty cool - seeing all the old marques putting around in the same area as the original race.

I understand there was a "big" bike accident at some point and now that might effect anything over 250cc - I don't know that as a fact, I'm just wondering if that is the case now. I am kind of curious how many bikes over 500cc actually run the trail ride but it seems clear it is a very popular event.

It's interesting but I don't think I completely agree with limiting non Hodakas to 1975 models when Hodaka only went to 1977 model years(?) How many non hodakas over the 1975/1977 model years actually show up that meet the dual shock, air cooled drum brake requirements?? If there needs to be a model year limit I'd vote for 1977.

Personally I just wanted to come to HD 2015 and ride (putt) what ever there was to ride. I basically have come to the conclusion it is just too much of a hassle for me to haul the old SP 500 Piggy the 1100 miles up and and then back again even if I could ride it in the Poker Run. I have a real Hodie now that I can ride in everything else.

I still don't really understand why the any brand road legal Poker Run/ TT(?) is limited to 250cc when the normal air cooled, drum brake, dual shock requirement is pretty much self limiting. I fully understand not wanting it to get over run with a bunch of non dual sport street bikes but what's wrong with a few 350's or 500's that meet the basic rule? Is it also becoming too large/ too many bikes on the run? Also why is it called a TT? I rode several TT's back in the day and they were basically a flat track with corners and a couple jumps & fun. Is there in fact a TT as part of the Poker run??

So these are just questions not complaints. I know it takes a lot of work from a lot of people and in no way am I wanting to ruffle any feathers - in fact even though I am still trying to get there - I fully appreciate the fact that "Hodaka Days" is there!

I'm pretty sure these events came about and are available because someone had/has to sponsor/support come up with a rules plan and direct them. Again I want to thank all those individuals.

Larry McPhail :D
fullchoke wrote:We have really enjoyed Hodaka Days the last 2 years. The questions posted above on bike requirements for certain events are very interesting. The bad rock ride is a lot of fun and part of the fun of riding in it is seeing vintage bikes of all brands. Because this is a Hodaka event there should be no limitations on Hodaka's but limiting other brands to 1975 and earlier would further promote the nostalgia of the event and also trim the number of the participants since this was an issue last year. We are looking forward to this years event very much.

GM
motovate

Post by motovate »

Very cool - did that dude actually run the Honda S90 in the Bad Rock??? I never had one but I sure put a lot of miles on a Buddie's S90.

LBM

socalhodaka wrote:It is open to any bikes
DSC_6512.JPG
DSC_6514.JPG
DSC_6476.JPG
DSC_6519.JPG
DSC_6502.JPG
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Larry, it's a take on the Isle of Man Tourist Trophy road race. You have many good points, are you a club member? If so make sure to come to the club meeting at Hodaka Days and make your voice heard. It's members that make all this happen as well as the many club related events not at Hodaka Days. We are always looking for folks to jump in with ideas and we have folks volunteering from all over. I'm in So California and we have Vermont, Texas, Washington, Oregon, Colorodo, Pennsylvania and a few more that make this stuff happen.
motovate

Post by motovate »

:o OK - I'm tracking now - Isle of Man makes more sense to me. Yes I've been a member for awhile (had to go look!) since 11/1/2009 - #296. I've lived and worked all over the West including California and Oregon. I lived and worked in La Grande, Oregon and went to Athena a few times for the Celtic days but that was way before Hodaka Days. I was in Northern California when I found out about the Days - I think It was the 2ed or 3rd event - close enough to get too but something always got in the way - mostly work & Fire Season - USFS. Whenever I make it I'll get into every thing I can! :lol: Planning on this year!!
Thanks -

LBM
socalhodaka wrote:Larry, it's a take on the Isle of Man Tourist Trophy road race. You have many good points, are you a club member? If so make sure to come to the club meeting at Hodaka Days and make your voice heard. It's members that make all this happen as well as the many club related events not at Hodaka Days. We are always looking for folks to jump in with ideas and we have folks volunteering from all over. I'm in So California and we have Vermont, Texas, Washington, Oregon, Colorodo, Pennsylvania and a few more that make this stuff happen.
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

motovate wrote::o OK - I'm tracking now - Isle of Man makes more sense to me. Yes I've been a member for awhile (had to go look!) since 11/1/2009 - #296. I've lived and worked all over the West including California and Oregon. I lived and worked in La Grande, Oregon and went to Athena a few times for the Celtic days but that was way before Hodaka Days. I was in Northern California when I found out about the Days - I think It was the 2ed or 3rd event - close enough to get too but something always got in the way - mostly work & Fire Season - USFS. Whenever I make it I'll get into every thing I can! :lol: Planning on this year!!
Thanks -

LBM
socalhodaka wrote:Larry, it's a take on the Isle of Man Tourist Trophy road race. You have many good points, are you a club member? If so make sure to come to the club meeting at Hodaka Days and make your voice heard. It's members that make all this happen as well as the many club related events not at Hodaka Days. We are always looking for folks to jump in with ideas and we have folks volunteering from all over. I'm in So California and we have Vermont, Texas, Washington, Oregon, Colorodo, Pennsylvania and a few more that make this stuff happen.
Larry, make sure to find me I would like to meet you. I bet you have some good riding around your area. That's cool you work USFS, one of the guys I camp with in the park is a retired USFS in Oregon. Last year after Hodaka Days we stayed a couple nights in a Lookout tower in the southern part of Oregon and it was awesome.
DSC_7592.JPG
DSC_7598.JPG
DSC_7594.JPG
motovate

Post by motovate »

Key word here is "worked" :lol: I retired Oct of 2008. 30 years and a couple of months and that took me almost 40 years to get! Where in Oregon was the Lookout you stayed in??? Among the many permanent places I worked some of them were essentially in 3 of the 4 corners of Oregon. Gold Beach on the SW corner, La Grande on the NE corner and Lakeview on the SE corner plus all over California, Nevada and Arizona. The USFS is a big little organization - I'll bet your buddy & I crossed paths , knew someone or worked in the same general location at some time or other.

When I get there I'll for sure look you up. :mrgreen:

LBM

socalhodaka wrote:
motovate wrote::o OK - I'm tracking now - Isle of Man makes more sense to me. Yes I've been a member for awhile (had to go look!) since 11/1/2009 - #296. I've lived and worked all over the West including California and Oregon. I lived and worked in La Grande, Oregon and went to Athena a few times for the Celtic days but that was way before Hodaka Days. I was in Northern California when I found out about the Days - I think It was the 2ed or 3rd event - close enough to get too but something always got in the way - mostly work & Fire Season - USFS. Whenever I make it I'll get into every thing I can! :lol: Planning on this year!!
Thanks -

LBM
Larry, make sure to find me I would like to meet you. I bet you have some good riding around your area. That's cool you work USFS, one of the guys I camp with in the park is a retired USFS in Oregon. Last year after Hodaka Days we stayed a couple nights in a Lookout tower in the southern part of Oregon and it was awesome.
DSC_7592.JPG
DSC_7598.JPG
DSC_7594.JPG
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Bald Knob lookout
junker2k

Post by junker2k »

[quote="motovate"]Very cool - did that dude actually run the Honda S90 in the Bad Rock??? I never had one but I sure put a lot of miles on a Buddie's S90.

LBM

[quote="socalhodaka"]It is open to any bikes
DSC_6512.JPG
DSC_6514.JPG
The old man on the S90 is Steve Henderson. The year before he rode the 250 on the other side of him in the picture.
Jack K
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Larry 34.5 years with USFS retired in 97. The FS rented about 6 Hodaka's from me and paid me to ride almost every day Thank you taxpayers! see you at Hodaka days.----------Clarence
fullchoke

Post by fullchoke »

The reason I suggested 1975 and earlier(excluding Hodaka) was because there was talk about limiting the number of riders last year, but I think everyone rode that wanted to in 2014.
I don't think there were any sections that were considered very difficult and a Honda 90 could do it , but it wouldn't be my bike of choice. It is a reunion ride with no competition. I think there were many guys over 60 (I'm one of them) and some over 70 or near it. We hope to make it again this year.

gm
Dale

Post by Dale »

Yes, the Bad Rock ride is a reunion ride and is for the most part a wonderful relaxing ride through the country. There are several sections that the rider has the option to stay on the road or jump off on a trail section that would include some single track and creek crossings before re-joining the road. Nearly perfect for any rider and bike.

Last year's rain did provide a challenge for bikes and riders not equipped for mud. For most, it was great!
Dale
Dale