Model 93 Super Rat Stories

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
hodakamax

Model 93 Super Rat Stories

Post by hodakamax »

After reading the discussions about the model 93 under the post "Photo Needed", I should tell you my story.
When the first crate of two 93 Super Rats arrived I took possession of one and my good friend and sponsored teammate took the other. We literally put hundreds of hours on them in daily practice. We found the weaknesses and the bikes evolved quickly. Fork tubes bent in the first week of practice and both sets were upgraded to leading link set-up with 21" wheels. This in turn required lengthening of the swing arms by about 2" to counter under-steer created by the new geometry. Both bikes spun 3rd gear on the main shaft but the replacement parts came quickly. On fast tracks we would run our short track reed valve cylinders with 32mm Amals and they eventually became standard. Small tanks, cushioned sprockets, and mufflers were some of the other mods.
Both bikes were dominant in the 100cc class and there are no words that can express how much fun we had with them!
Hope you enjoyed my story!

Maxie
Attachments
Max_HodakJump.jpg
BrianZ

Re: Model 93 Super Rat Stories

Post by BrianZ »

It's interesting reading about your experiences "back in the day", and getting some first hand reasons why the changes were made to the bikes. Thanks for posting the picture, but I have to say that is one homely looking bike (at least in my eyes)!

Brian
rough rider

Post by rough rider »

Very cool Maxie, thanks for sharing. Richard :)
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

I have a Super Rat story to share, but a warning, it does not have a happy ending. A friend and I bought 2 new 71 Rats, brought them home and took off the "heavy chrome tanks and fenders". On went the "better plastic ones". In 72 the Wombat came out, same story, 2 new bikes, tanks and fenders off, new plastic installed. 1973, you guessed it, Combat Wombats purchased, the " better plastic" installed. Flash forward to 1977. Cars and girls had long replaced Hodakas, and I was leaving for another year of college. Mom says, I am cleaning the garage, get rid of those motorcycle parts before you leave, no telling when you are coming back. I remember it as if it were yesterday, like a crime scene, 6 perfect chrome tanks and 12 gleaming stainless fenders piled next to the garbage can by the side of the road. To this day, I still hope that some kind soul picked them up before the truck made it there.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Olddogs, There must be a support group out there for you? Oh wait, this IS the support group... I am pretty sure that we all share in your pain and have some pain of our own to add to it. Dang!
Dale
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

I thought I could stir up a discussion on this type of suspension--here's another rider that realized the benefits of these weird units. Advantages were many, like the ability to roll over obstacles, less stiction and more strength. They look heavier but they are not. It was an interesting and successful experiment. The pic is Jody Weisel's Super Rat. (Check that head.)

Maxie
Attachments
hodaka.jpg
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Wow, there's not much Hodaka left in that bike. The entire top end is different. It has the 1 down/4 up shift cover, so that picture must be circa 1973 or later. Amazing how many modifications were made to bikes back then as compared to modern bikes. These days most riders (but not all) limit there modifications to after market graphics packages, as there is not near as much that can be gained performance wise. Back then it was a bit of a struggle just to get the bike to be reliable, and with some time and money you could gain a big performance advantage.

Brian
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

You're right Brian, there's not much you can do to a new race bike to make it go faster. Back then we were all racing street bikes with modifications. Our parts business was mostly R-pistons, HC heads, racing exhausts, shocks -- in other words, racing-related. The Super Rat was the beginning of the true race bikes and the end of race mod sales. It didn't take long before the big guys (Honda, etc.), figured this out. The big corporations mass produced competitive race bikes. This was one of the reasons for the demise of the Hodaka - just couldn't compete with the Japanese giants in technology and production.
My opinion

Max
deward66

Post by deward66 »

Interesting reading. I have a post on a Steen for sale. It has the leading link front end. Back around 1974 or 75 I had a 90cc Hodaka that I put the leading link front end on. I motor crossed, trial and trial rode it. I liked the fact that it did roll over curbs with out the jump as with regular forks. I put a reed valve with a 28mm Mukini carb. Gerling rear shocks as I weighed 210. My riding partner build a VanTec 100 which we reeded and had a 11/8 amual carb. We motoed in the 100 class back then (there was a 100 class) and had to run with what few 125's showed up as it took 5 bikes to make a class. There were at least 5 of us on Hodakas so we always had our class covered. I live at 5000 ft. and ran enduros mostly. We ran some over 9000 feet and the reed valves worked great. Got a few trophies then moved onto Puchs, and KTM's. Am now putting Hodakas together for sale as I don't ride any more. They are great little bikes.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Another great historical story! Thanks for sharing. It was a good time in life!

Maxie
Travis409

Post by Travis409 »

Cherish the stories Max shares! I've known him my entire life and he was my motorcycle hero as a child. When we would take our bicycles out to "motocross" (on Stingrays, pre-BMX!) I was always number 32. I remember going to his garage dealership constantly. And he can ride a wheelie like nobody's business! In 1979 my dad bought me a basketcase '71 Super Rat and Max did the engine and modified the piston for the reed setup. Fun bike! I next got a '73 Wombat with only 600 miles on the odometer. Boy did my brother and I put the miles on that thing! I'm really going to enjoy this site, especially with Max on board. :D
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Thanks and welcome to the forum--you are a great boost to my old ego! (LOL!) I'm trying to share this history before I forget it! (love your chat name)

Max
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

If you haven't seen this shot from "Your Bikes" on the SH site, It is definitely Hodaka Super Rat history--Steve Starakakis flying in 1974!

Maxie
Attachments
Stavrakakis.jpg
rough rider

Post by rough rider »

Good stuff here. The same thing happened in the hotrod world in the fifties and in the sixties the big three were mass producing factory hotrods. Vintage bikes still have personality, character, and just plain cool when comes to customizing/fabricating on your bike! Rock on Hodaka. Richard