PHOTO NEEDED

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
admin
Site Admin

PHOTO NEEDED

Post by admin »

Looking for a clean photo of a 1969 model 93 Super Rat. Preferably with a plain or outdoor background. Side view only. Thanks.

To be used on our website

Please email [email protected]
socalhodaka

Re: PHOTO NEEDED

Post by socalhodaka »

image.jpg
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

YIKES!
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Nothing wrong a bike with a bit of "patina". I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Paul is looking for something shinier though.

Brian
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

I love the grass growing out of the nooks and crannies----too funny--I'm still giggling.
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

The photo, itself, is clean, even if the bike is not.
rough rider

Post by rough rider »

That is a great idea Kelly! I think maybe the site should show a before (barn find or buried find) photo and a restoration photo to show what our bikes can look like with all the cool parts that are available. What do you think Paul? Richard
rtboone

Post by rtboone »

Here's a nice photo.... can't quite remember where I found it. ;)
Attachments
IMAG1186.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Richard I love the idea! Great for the "your bikes" pages.
Thanks Tom :-) That one upstairs is a 93A unfortunately and the others in the basement are also 93A's.
Kaity and Chris have been working on a new SH website and the ID page is going to save me a lot of calls and emails and be really cool too!!
They are really excited and this makes me very excited to see them wanting to improve on what we have already.
Thank you
Paul
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

I thought the differences between the 93 and 93A were internal.
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Comparing part for part, it is hard to find anything different between the two that would actually be visible. The fork tubes are different internally, but not externally, and the swing arm has a different number, but is visually the same. What is it about a 93 as opposed to a 93A that a photo would reveal?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you for all your help! We have a photo.
-Kaity
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Stay tuned Greg the answers will be posted very very soon ;) We have all been working all day on making improvements to the website.
Also most of but not all the information provided comes in the Hodaka Book that Ken has written. Even I needed to refer back to the book today to clear a couple things up. But the final word is the Hodaka Book by Ken Smith!
Paul
michael_perrett

Post by michael_perrett »

The rear hub is different, one can tell easily by the rear sprocket.

Mike "for once serious" Perrett
Gary G

Post by Gary G »

Air cleaner. EArly 93s had the flat disc outer cover. At some point the 93 changed to the newer style. Not sure when but would be interested in knowing.
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Guess I need to get the book, but I think it would be challenging to tell one from the other with only one photo. Must be a quest for perfection. 8-)
michael_perrett

Post by michael_perrett »

I forgot about the air cleaner cover. Did the early ones have the "butter forks" like the Ace 100's ?
Mike Perrett
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

As I remember on the first super rat's to arrive the front fork's bent on any that were raced. The early ones were expansion chamber no silencer, the dish sprocket and a different air cleaner. At the time I was very disappointed that they didn't come with a reed valve. They sure were a hit with my customers . Only as I remember--------------Clarence
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

I have an early 93 (#726) and while searching for parts, I've found quite a few subtle differences between the 93 vs 93A/93B.

1. Front forks. I've seen the same forks on the Ace 100B or B+ can't remember for sure. The internals are different and they also had a large flat nut on top. Later Rat's used the same forks found on a 94 Wombat, (at least in appearance).
2. Air Cleaner - we all know the difference here.
3. Swing Arm. The outer side of the shock mount was welded on top rather than over and below the swing arm frame. I can show photos to illustrate.
4. Some early 93's apparently had light coils. Can't prove it but I'm almost certain they did. Mine has one and it's not an Ace 100 stator, it's definitely a Rat stator with Rat exciter and light coil. The wire harness from the stator is wired differently also, i.e. much simpler. And there was a post about a year ago from someone who had an early Rat with the same thing.
5. Rear hub was non-cushion 4-bolt.
6. Pipe was only an expansion chamber with abut a 4" - 6" stinger. no silencer nor spark arrestor.
7 Some early Rat's had 2-bolt intake manifolds. (I learned this at HD14)
8. The VM24 carburetor had a small inlet barb. Same size as the VM20.

These are just some things I've noticed while searching for parts and scouring MANY photos online that I could find and studying the fine examples I saw at HD14.

Roger

PS As a suggestion from a computer guy... The parts illustration thumbnails really need to be a bit bigger... it's hard to see them. http://www.strictlyhodaka.com/SearchRes ... p?Cat=1830
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I sold allot of early Super Rat's I never seen a factory one with a lighting coil and all the super rat's I ever seen had a 4 bolt intake. It was the dish sprocket without the cushion and the sprocket did not hold up. There was a blank where the lighting coil would have gone. I would have ordered some of the first rats available as I was getting in 4-6 crates per week at times. All Super Rats are beautiful