Wheel rehab

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
turbokh

Wheel rehab

Post by turbokh »

Hello!

Looking for some suggestions on how to bring oxidized spokes back to shine again. On one bike, I'll definitely re-spoke, but on the other I just want them to look alive again without the expense. What do you folks do to revive old spokes? (Combat Wombats, so I can buff the aluminum rims and hubs)

Thanks in advance..
Karl
racerclam

Re: Wheel rehab

Post by racerclam »

An sos pad works well , you could also use some Flitz chrome polish with it

Rich
Dale

Post by Dale »

Like Rich said. I haved used steel wool with a good amount of Kroil penetrating oil. Also spray the spoke nipples with the Kroil multiple times over a period of time and then apply light heat and you can get them to break free (usually). Patience is the key...

I have used a large buffing wheel on Combat Wombat mud catcher rims with good results. Hub too.

Dale
Last edited by Dale on Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

The trouble with zinc plating is that it slowly oxidizes and disappears over time leaving bare steel. Once the zinc is gone it is very difficult to prevent the underlying steel from rusting. Waxes and clear coat will help, but the real solution is to replate the parts. I have all my spokes replated at a local zinc plater. I also use a Caswell plating kit to renew zinc plated parts.

Brian
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Brian is right. I have also scrubbed old spokes with steel wool and various cleaners, sometimes with good results, but the reason the spokes are rusty to start with is that the coating is gone. I haven't found any process short of outright replacement that lasts. I have even clear coated spokes after thorough cleaning, but it doesn't stay long.

I would also suggest that if the spokes are bad to look at, the nipples are almost always worse. Spokes stretch and when they do, they lose some of their strength, which would make them prone to breakage. Also if the nipples don't turn freely on the threads, you can't tune the wheel and expect it to stay set. Often, the nipples are frozen on the threads, and penetrating oil notwithstanding, if the nipples are locked in place, they often as not can not be salvaged.

As costly as they are, I would still replace them if the bike is to be used. Besides, the only feasible way to completely clean the spokes (or the wheel) requires disassembly of the wheel so you can work on each spoke full length. If it won't come apart readily, the nipples are done, and you have to cut the spokes out, at which point you have to rebuild the wheel anyway. So if all you want to do is clean up a working wheel, steel wool and metal polish, but you won't be able to get all the grunge from the spokes, or the wheel, if it is together. Reusing spokes that have been in service for a long time is not really good practice. Up to you.

Of course, if you have never built a spoked wheel, it can appear to be intimidating, and frankly it is tedious even if you know how to do it. On the other hand, it is entirely doable with simple tools, and once you conquer the process, you will never be intimidated again by a spoked wheel. All it takes is patience, a good spoke wrench which is not expensive, and a bit of time. All I would suggest is that if you have not done it before, don't take it apart until you have everything you need to put it back together. Or, find a friend who knows how and get some help.
turbokh

Post by turbokh »

Thanks for the tips. I've built dozens of wheels in the past.. looks like I'll be doing 2 (or 4) more.