More History -- Ace90

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
hodakamax

More History -- Ace90

Post by hodakamax »

More History - Ace 90

After following CURTISHARVIE's "Restoration Ace90" it reminded me of the purchase of my first Ace90 in 1965. (The BSA was broken again.) Two friends and I purchased the first Hodakas in town and rode them every available waking moment for months. What fun they were! I soon became the local Hodaka dealer in Parsons, KS. We raced and sold Hodakas for many years.

On with the story: I decided to check the serial numbers on my old short tracker which I restored a few years ago (and hangs in my living room today). Frame # A3704 and engine #P8963. More research.

I had forgotten that this was the original Ace90 that I bought in '65. It also turns out to be the same bike I raced at the John Zink Ranch, 47 years ago! (I raced at Zink again last October on a Wombat 94A). More info on my first Ace90 in the SH site under "Your Bikes".

Thanks, gang, for jogging my memory!
Maxie
Attachments
Max_HodakaAce90History.jpg
oldmxracer

Re: More History -- Ace90

Post by oldmxracer »

Awesome way to display an awesome bike! Thanks for sharing. What carb did you slip n there?.?.?.
MTRob

Post by MTRob »

My wifes bike her dad bought in 64 Title says 64. Engine #EPO262 Frame #A0259 Is now totally restored last year. Its her bike there is no way she would hang it in our house. It has a warm garage year around that keeps her sweet.
MTRob
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

The carb is a 32mm Amal concentric. Earlier in its non-reed life it had a 32mm Amal monoblock.

Maxie
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

This is really funny. The number one quote when someone first sees this bike is, "My wife wouldn't let me hang a motorcycle in the living room!"
I tell them. "You have the wrong wife!"

Maxie
Scribbler

Post by Scribbler »

The late Joe Parkhurst of Cycle World fame had a 1967 Zündapp 125 ISDT replica hanging from the ceiling in his living room. Growing up with Hodakas in the late '60s, the Zündapp ISDT was one of my dreambikes.

http://www.budanddaveekins.com/stories- ... eplica.cfm
Joe Parkhurst's Zündapp 125 ISDT
Joe Parkhurst's Zündapp 125 ISDT
MTRob

Post by MTRob »

I got the greatest wife just don't have that high of ceiling, need to ad on, LOL
MTRob
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

I told you it was really funny--you made me laugh one more time!

Maxie
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Now be careful Rob in case wives look at this sometimes. We all have the greatest wives DONT"n we. Remember when they let us go to Hodaka day and spend a few bucks. Although I won't be hanging from the ceiling ,I am not allowed to assemble in the living room anymore. Red hodaka green tree look great together.-----------Clarence
MTRob

Post by MTRob »

Clarence funny we can put an old tree in the house and put presents under it but not our colorful longer lasting HODOS.
Working on that 100 Rat motor now. Merry Christmas
MTROB
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Scribbler,
I met this guy from Canada at the ISDT RR riding a vintage Zundapp. Is this bike in attached picture the same model you talked about? It was really cool.
Maxie
Attachments
Max_Friends309.jpg
Scribbler

Post by Scribbler »

From what I can tell it appears the fellow is riding a 125 GS from the '70s. In the '70s Zündapp went to a downtube frame. They are mighty cool (both literally and figuratively) with that massively finned cylinder and sunburst head. With the 5-speed transmission they were well suited for off-road performance.
'76 Zündapp 125 Engine
'76 Zündapp 125 Engine
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

After looking through my wife's pictures I found this shot of the Zundapps in impound. You are right. It is a 125 GS. The one next to it appears to be a little different model. What's your prognosis?
Maxie
Attachments
ISDT_RR_Zundapps298.jpg
Scribbler

Post by Scribbler »

Both appear to be 125 GS models, probably different years and with various updates.

I'm thinking that unless there's a Strictly Zundapp out there, those fellows are leading a challenging life.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

After reading Laurie's adventures about the ISDTRR in the new Resonator (Yes I read it cover to cover),I saw a picture of the fellow on the cool Zundapp who was also cool and 79 years old.(even older than me!) His name was listed as Bob Canfield. I hope I can be that cool at that age!