125 hodaka wombat

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
cherokee

125 hodaka wombat

Post by cherokee »

Hey guys. Im going to start wombat up today. I put new wire harness on it. It has spark, fuel to carb , and compression. The battery is dead. Do I need to pull motor side cover off. It gas spark. Someone said all I need to get it running is the 2 wires from mag. The wire harness all matched to the original one. Color code and connectors
if anyone has any thing please help. Thanks cherokee
Pep

Re: 125 hodaka wombat

Post by Pep »

What Ed said last time still applies:
-----
Postby Bullfrog » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:30 pm

Since the colors of the wires have been changed, you'll need to trace down exactly which wire is connected to what item. That being said, you can peek at the wiring diagram for the machine elsewhere on this very site -- and in that way, you can confirm that the wiring is correct.

Finally, I would recommend disconnecting(un-plugging) ALL the accessory wiring to simplify matters while trying to get the engine running. ONLY TWO wires are needed for the engine to run. These are the two wires from the magneto which lead up to the high tension coil under the fuel tank - ALL other wires can be un-plugged while testing. HOWEVER, I would recommend that you plan ahead for some means to shut down the engine immediately - a kill switch or a plan for disconnecting the two ignition wires would suffice. (You don't want to have an un-planned engine "run-away" which you can't control.)

Ed
-----
Also check your points gap and timing - spark does not equal apart-at-the-right-time. Use a fresh plug if you've kicked that one over enough to soak it.
cherokee

Post by cherokee »

Thank you. Does this bike have points. Do I need to have a good battery to start it. If It has points what is the gap. Thank you for your help. Really appreciate it. Thanks cherokee
Pep

Post by Pep »

No on the battery, see Ed's advice.
Yes, it has points - gap at .012"-.014" - can be done without pulling the flywheel. If you need to pull the flywheel, get a proper puller (available via SH), or you'll be really sorry.
Use a buzz box or cigarette paper to see if the points are opening at the right time.
A manual might ought to be at the top of your list...
Good luck!
MTRob

Post by MTRob »

Cherokee
You said you put in new wiring harness and everything plugged right in, you have spark and good fuel flow. Get a new battery there not that expensive Paul has them. Charge up the battery hook up everything else, Give her a kick or two. If she fires great then you can go from there to fine tune everything. Let me know how things work out.
MTRob
cherokee

Post by cherokee »

Thanks MTRob IL get back with u. What would cause a bike to jump time
Dale

Post by Dale »

There is no jumping... The point gap can and will change over time. The adjustment screw can loosen and allow the gap to change. Mostly the points armature, the part that rides on the crankshaft cam, wears down. As it wears, the points will open less and less. In addition, pitted and worn contacts are an issue.
Dale
Dale
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Pitted points make it very hard to set the point gap. The flywheel cam should be very smooth. Clarence
cherokee

Post by cherokee »

Thanks guys. Can't wait till sat. I going to get my wombat running
MTRob

Post by MTRob »

Cherokee
You didn't mention if you put in new points and condenser? I would put them in, Paul I think has them on sell. You said you had spark
kick it over and see what happens then go from there.
MTRob
cherokee

Post by cherokee »

Ok thanks I'm going to get on it tomorrow. Thanks guys