hodaka 125.

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
cherokee

hodaka 125.

Post by cherokee »

Hi. I just bought a hodaka 125. It's been sitting a while. The owner took wire harness apart. He gave me a new one. I out it all on every thing hooked up. I charged old battery. It's got spark and compression but it won't fire. Can anyone help me out. Thanks cherokee
bchappy

Re: hodaka 125.

Post by bchappy »

The other element to starting is fuel. Setting for a while can clog up the carb so that would be the next thing I would check out and clean. Idle jet may be stopped up completely. Be careful when taking apart and you may save the gasket enough to put back together. The smartest thing to do is order a kit from Strictly Hodaka and rebuild it completely.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Check for fuel at the carburetor. Pull off the fuel line and route it to a container. Turn on the petcock and see if fuel flows.

Brian
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

See if the spark plug is wet with fuel.
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Another simple but easy check is to make sure if there is an in line fuel filter and that it is installed correctly for flow direction. Most filters only flow one way and if it's backwards it won't pass fuel. Could prevent the carb from getting gas. ; ) Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
cherokee

Post by cherokee »

I'm getting fuel and spark. And compression.does th u should bike have points or could it bee the ignition. It looks new. The blue and black wires look like they were conected good. The only thing I seen different in the wire harness was the wire from the battery to the key switch diagram says blue and r ed from battery mine is red and black. I hook black and blue together. There's a switch on the head light ac/DC I hooked it up. The lights and speedo. We're cut. I hooked w very thing up the way wire diagram says. I'm perty good with bikes this is my first hodak. What can I try.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Since the colors of the wires have been changed, you'll need to trace down exactly which wire is connected to what item. That being said, you can peek at the wiring diagram for the machine elsewhere on this very site -- and in that way, you can confirm that the wiring is correct.

Finally, I would recommend disconnecting(un-plugging) ALL the accessory wiring to simplify matters while trying to get the engine running. ONLY TWO wires are needed for the engine to run. These are the two wires from the magneto which lead up to the high tension coil under the fuel tank - ALL other wires can be un-plugged while testing. HOWEVER, I would recommend that you plan ahead for some means to shut down the engine immediately - a kill switch or a plan for disconnecting the two ignition wires would suffice. (You don't want to have an un-planned engine "run-away" which you can't control.)

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
cherokee

Post by cherokee »

Thanks for the replie. I'll try it tomorrow.