Model 98 Super Rat gear selector shaft end clip

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
bradocross

Model 98 Super Rat gear selector shaft end clip

Post by bradocross »

I've created several gadgets to try and get that microscopic clip on the shaft after the springs are on it.
Every time I try to get the clip on the end of the shaft I hear the "ping" as the clip shoots across the garage floor :shock: . Anyone have experience with this?
RHall1972

Re: Model 98 Super Rat gear selector shaft end clip

Post by RHall1972 »

A special tool exists for this. On the old chat-group site someone posted a photo of a makeshift tool that could be used for this purpose, made with a drilled-out coin and a washer. Perhaps they'll post that photo here as well.
rtboone

Post by rtboone »

The coin and washer did not work for me because you need to have something that fits inside the counter shaft. May be the coin method works on older models.
What did work for me was that I drilled a hole just a bit larger than the control shaft, length wise in a large bolt. Put the counter shaft into a hole bored into a 4x4 wood block to help hold the unit. Placed the circlip on the recess in the spring stopper and pushed the bolt down onto the shaft. Job done!
IMAG0856.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We have been working to have the new tools made again. We have been into it for a year or so now but we will fix this soon.It is a must have tool for all the Hodaka folks. I spoke to Joe Bolger yesterday about possibly making them for us. I am sending him a sample tomorrow along with an engine so he can quote us for making "Bolger/Hodaka" engine stands. Nice having Joe still involved. He is an American treasure and a very dear valued friend.
Thanks for reading and I am sorry for the delay on these tools!!
Paul
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

I'd love to see a video of the procedure done correctly.
-Forrest
94 Hodaka Wombat, Combat Toad w 95 frame + 02 Road Toad frame, and a brood of old Honda's.
http://www.goomer.com/honda/
tvrc18

Post by tvrc18 »

I would like to see that video also. I have the tool but never used it and not sure I know how to use it correctly.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

OK! The snap ring tool is available again. There may be ways of installing the snap ring with make-shift tools . . . but life will be simpler and less time will be wasted if you just get the tool.

Ed
PS: I'm thinking about that video idea.
Keep the rubber side down!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

With this new site instruction videos can be added to all items. We have great ideas and intentions.
Thanks
Paul