Front and rear sprockets

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Brian4236

Front and rear sprockets

Post by Brian4236 »

All things being equal (meaning, regular street-riding conditions, 155 pound rider), why would you put 14/50 front and rear sprockets on a Wombat 125?
Isn't the better choice 14 and 56 for general purpose street riding? With the 14/50 combo, I can't really shift into 5th with much effect.
--Brian
olddogs

Re: Front and rear sprockets

Post by olddogs »

With bikes this old a 50 tooth sprocket may have been all the previous owner could find. You could always go the less expensive route and drop the front to a 13 tooth. This would get you back closer to stock. Only problem is the 13 tooth fronts wear pretty quickly if ridden a lot,
Brian4236

Post by Brian4236 »

But a wide variety of new sprockets (including the spec 14/56) are available from Strictly Hodaka, Hodaka-Parts and other online suppliers. And since this bike was recently restored, I just can't figure out why you would use a 50 tooth rear.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Gearing is such a personal thing. A tuned hodaka is going to run considerably better than factory stock. Some folks like to wind them out and others never will. Where you ride and how you ride will will determine what sprocket you need, it will not be the same for all riders. I think the 14 tooth front sprocket is a good start. A restored bike is done for quality looks and personal preference and also cost that 50 tooth sprocket may have been on hand. ------------- Clarence
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

;) . . . and if you should come across a downhill, with a tailwind . . . and you tuck in behind the bars . . . what a Walter Mitty moment! ;)

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Brian4236

Post by Brian4236 »

Hah! Good one, Ed! I love that reference to Walter Mitty. I can see him (well, me) in such a moment.
MTRob

Post by MTRob »

When I built my Wombat I put 14 and 56. I weight 170 and can get it up to about 59 mph pushing it. Its what I like in low gears and High.
Like Clarence said Its what you want. Ed love the walter mitty
MTRob