Hodaka Powered Steens for sale

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
admin
Site Admin

Hodaka Powered Steens for sale

Post by admin »

Hey everyone- my son Chris just listed a great bike up on ebay for sale , a great project bike for the winter or great restoration for a father and child project. Strictly Hodaka has all the parts you'll need to make it run. This one wont last long -here is the link check it out and BID TODAY - http://www.ebay.com/itm/231311874472?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
thrownchain

Re: Hodaka Powered Steens for sale

Post by thrownchain »

It seems that I am the new owner of the Steen's .
Dale

Post by Dale »

Shipping should not be a problem then?! :lol: Looks like a very fun project. Congrats.
Dale
Dale
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

No pressure shipping, I'll head over and pick it up next week, had to head over to the mountain anyway.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Picked up the Steens today, looks to be an uphill project about like Pauls driveway. definitely a long haul.....
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Figure out what you need, I saw Greg and Diane on Sunday and they had all there Steen stuff out to start preparing to sell. There must of been at least 15 to 20 Steens. There really busy right now but PM me with you phone or email and I can help you out with hooking you up with them and getting what you need. I will see them at the races on Sat and will also let them know you may need stuff.
Kelly
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Update: got the bike home and started the "process" . When I picked up the bike the motor and both wheels were stuck. I have managed to get the rear wheel to rotate albeit quite ruff, less progress on the front, but still working on it. The motor is actually not in bad shape. Piston was stuck from sitting, but a small wood drift and a hammer and it came apart fairly easily. Piston is .020 oversize, crank turns and seems to be fairly smooth, popped the clutch side cover off, no oil, but still very clean inside. Looking more optomistic by the minute. Even the carb should be salvagable. I have talked to Greg Watkins and he helped with info and some available body parts, will go to Paul for the motor needs.
Gary G

Post by Gary G »

Dan

Hope to see the bike in the Unadilla show tent next year. Good luck!!

Gary
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Well I got the wheels off, rims are rough, not sure if they'll salvage or not. But I've been looking at the front end as I was dis-assembling the rest of the bike and something just didnt look kosher. Now that I have the front wheel off, it's very noticable that the front end is bent about 1 1/4 inch out of parallel with the rear wheel. So now I have to decide: 1) find a different front end, 2) try to straighten this one out, 3) see if some frame guys I know could make new legs for this front end. I'll have to see what happens......
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

In the process of building a new front end, new trees and rear legs, but will reuse the link arm. Looks as if the old front end had been bent and straightenened a couple of times. Nice mix of metric and standard hardware.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Latest up date, front end should be done in the next couple of days. I have sourced new rims, will need new brakes if someone can help me with a cross reference application. Body work is on it's way from the west coast. I need to make it back to Vermont for some motor parts, but work is making spare time an issue for a couple of weeks. Anyone on the east coast doing any "hydro blasting"?
pungo

Post by pungo »

Sounds interesting and fun!!

Any pics for us to follow along with the project?
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

No pics, sorry, you'll have to use your imagination.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Got the front end back today, guy does nice work, but have now found out the frame is slightly tweaked. Not bad enuff to play with, so unless I show you where it is, you probably wont notice. Gotta draw the line at some point. Got the body work the other day, nice NOS stuff. Got rims on the way, will have Buchanans do 'em up. Still need brake shoes for both ends. And 2 pair of 12" shocks will cover most of the "big" stuff. Will head back up to Pauls for the motor parts I need, as well as cables, and some small stuff. (gotta make a list)
thrownchain

Re: Hodaka Powered Steens

Post by thrownchain »

Got the rims in and the spoke pattern lines up perfectly, should be an easy swap. Things are slowing up a bit, but work continues.....
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Aquired a second Steens .......must be contagous.........
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Well dropped off the frame, swingarm and front end parts at the powdercoater today, pick 'em up next week.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Got the powdercoat back, very nice. The guys a one stop shop. Drop it off, they do all the prep and coat it. Usually drop Monday and pick up friday. he'll get more business from me.
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Always better with pictures ;)
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Yeah, I know pics are helpful and "needed", but it's a black art that I haven't conqeured yet.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Spokes have been ordered and the rebuild should start shortly.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Picked up another rolling chassis setup in Ohio a couple of weekends ago. Good for parts, or maybe the base for a 3rd unit , maybe modern wheels and disc brakes ???
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Those Steens bikes seem to be finding you Dan! Post a picture, or if you're having trouble send one (or more) to me and I'll post it in this thread for you.

Brian