Electrical question about my Wombat 125

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
amanda11270

Electrical question about my Wombat 125

Post by amanda11270 »

Okay, so I got my flywheel puller today, I never had one of these when I was younger (28 yrs ago) and knew not a thing with my Road Toad. I remember beating the crap out of the thing to get it off, well not today it came right off with the correct tool. My points are shot definitely, the bike has only 299 miles on it, not sure how that happens, bad storage and corrosion I guess, but it starts easily now. I have another set coming hopefully by the weekend. I have a new battery now, also I have a headlight low, but no high beam. I tested it with my meter and it shows the high beam is no continuity so it looks like im going headlight shopping. My horn also works, along with only one rear turn signal, no front signals at all. I definitely also have to rebuild the handlebar switches, they are a little rough working.

Anyways, back to my question if im not mistaken to test the coils behind the magneto, I should get a resistance between the wires per individual coil, but not to ground right? Assuming this is like other bikes I worked on in the past.
Dale

Re: Electrical question about my Wombat 125

Post by Dale »

Here is the best advice that I can give. Purchase the Wombat Workshop Manual. It will cover virtually everything that you will need to know in order to fix and to maintain your Wombat. It is great. Unfortunately, I don't have access to mine this week, or I would look to answer your specific question regarding the coils.

Here is a link to the manual: http://www.strictlyhodaka.com/ProductDe ... ode=209004
Last edited by Dale on Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dale
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Oh, and take care of your single beam headlight - many don't even have one! Lights are pretty much "unobtanium" but folks are working on replacement ideas...
Bob
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

From the Manual Wombat 94. Not my advice, but the manual is where I get my advice, worth buying from Strictly Hodaka.

Coil Winding Continuity
1. Connect one of the test leads to each end of the coil windings (be sure that neither end of the coil windings is touching the coil core). If the light bulb does not glow, the coil is defective.

2. Connect one test lead to either end of the coil windings (be sure that neither end of the coil windings is touching the coil core) Connect the remaining test lead to the coil core. If the light bulb glows, the coil is definitely defective.

The ignition coil is where you do a resistance test, and sounds like yours is ok. I would think at that low milage most everything is ok, except points and condenser.
94 Hodaka Wombat, Combat Toad w 95 frame + 02 Road Toad frame, and a brood of old Honda's.
http://www.goomer.com/honda/
MTRob

Post by MTRob »

Hi Amanda
Sounds like you have a 125 Wombat 94A with the turn signals. I saw on Ebay they have the wiring harness for your bike also the headlight at pretty good prices. I just finished rebuilding my 125 Wombat 94A and if you need any help let me know, still have some parts for that bike.
MTRob
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

amanda11270 wrote:My points are shot definitely, the bike has only 299 miles on it, not sure how that happens.......
Pitted or burned out points in 299 miles is probably a bad condenser. Storage should not be an issue as long as you do not store under water. Points rarely "corrode." I would check the condenser or simply replace it when you install new points. If it starts and runs it ain't the coils.
amanda11270

Post by amanda11270 »

I actually got my bike running pretty well recently, the points wore where they contacted the rusty magneto center. I have since replaced points, and polished the magneto and it started on the first kick just about everytime I've tested it now since.

I had to do a fuel tank repair (Ive been test starting the bike with a gas can as a fuel tank, a gas can's vent port makes a good fuel line attachement), picked up a front sprocket, and a couple other small things, hoping to have the bike ridable by the weekend. Thats if my seat comes back from the upholstery shop. I have a sorta big property, cant wait to tear up my yard with the bike.