Changing sprockets

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
amanda11270

Changing sprockets

Post by amanda11270 »

My Wombat had a very thinly worn front sprocket, Its 14 tooth now, I remember back in the day when I had a Road Toad, I considered changing to a larger front sprocket thinking that would make it geared a little higher. I picked up a 15 tooth sprocket at a local bike event, what kinda gearing difference will this make? Or would I have to do the rear too in order to make any noticeable difference?
taber hodaka

Re: Changing sprockets

Post by taber hodaka »

It will make a noticeable difference, make sure your chain and rear sprocket isn't worn out as that would create more wear on everything. --------------Clarence
Dale

Post by Dale »

There are online calculators that show the exact effect of sprocket changes based on all of the variables. Gearing Commander is one example, but Hodaka is not included in their database so one must manually input all of the data. As far as what impact your change will make? A 1 tooth change on the countershaft sprocket is equivalent to approximately 3 teeth on the main sprocket. It is not exact, but will be pretty close on average.
Dale
Dale
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

There is a simple basic formula for sprockets.
Smaller front sprocket, lower top speed. Larger front sprocket, greater top speed.
Smaller rear sprocket, greater top speed. Larger rear sprocket, lower top speed.
Your engine must be in good enough condition to pull a larger front sprocket or smaller rear . You can go to far with trying to increase cruising speeds and your engine might not be able to reach its upper rpm range, defeating the purpose. Experimenting with front sprockets is also the cheaper way to go.
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

Last May, Doug (flyingdg), did a bit of work figuring out various gear ratios for Hodaka. He sent me a copy and just called me and asked me to post his results. I hope you find it as helpful as I did. If I remember right, a good target ratio for a stock engine is around the 3.50 Final ratio range.

I'm currently running 15/54 and it's running great. Top cruising speed is roughly 55mph, but still has decent bottom end torque for trail riding.

Roger
Screen Shot 2014-08-19 at 3.32.48 PM.png
DGardner

Post by DGardner »

I'm running a 16/52 on my 94 wombat with some mild motor work. Yesterday I rode to work and back (160 Miles) with some freeway riding the little wombat did very well in the rush hour traffic in SLC Utah. I have put over 4000 miles on just this summer. DG
amanda11270

Post by amanda11270 »

Thanks for all the info guys, im hoping to get all my parts to have the bike up and running by the weekend. Back in the day I used to wish I could ride my Road Toad on the interstate at highway speeds with lower revs. Now I just want it to ride around the local area and the dirt roads (really looking forward to the dirt roads).
I dont know if I am ready to attempt to ride it 160 miles though LOL, I dont know if I would of rode my 76 Road Toad that far back in 1986 and it was in practically new condition. I remember seriously, pushing my Road Toad home from work a few times, it was only about 3 miles though. Since I have owned many much bigger bikes since, I remember thinking, "how did I ever push that Hodaka so far?" then upon buying my Wombat and realizing again how small it is, I could push it that far today if I had to its so light. My wife was picking on my saying it's like a bicycle.
Im also looking forward though to seeing how much more reliable this Hodaka can be since I am now at 44 in a little better financial position and a little more knowledgeable than I was at 16 LOL to upkeep it. Of course it is still a little bit of a scavenger hunt for parts.
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Not quite sure what dimension "thin" refers to, but guaranteed that the front sprocket does not wear without also the chain stretching and rear sprocket wearing as well. Replace all if one is worn beyond use. Stretched chain on new sprocket will quickly ruin the new sprocket because pin center to center on the chain no longer matches the contour of the new sprocket, so chain will ride high on the teeth. Putting a new chain on worn sprockets results in fast wear as well because the sprocket contour no longer matches the center to center on the new chain. Going cheap on drive chain and sprockets never pays dividends. Replace them as a unit.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

There is not a need to change both sprockets and chain at the same time . You may need a new chain but if the rear sprocket still looks good it could be okay. If your sprockets are bad more than likely the chain is too. Keep the chain lubed and clean , a good reason to keep the chain guard in place. The front sprocket can wear on one side if it is the wrong sprocket or the rear wheel is not aligned, this would not require changing out everything. I am sure someone can post some pictures of bad sprockets. --------------Clarence