Ratty Rat Pipe

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
hodakamax

Ratty Rat Pipe

Post by hodakamax »

Now that I’m back, I’ve been trying to pull off a post a day here until I run out of material. Not desperate yet. Ratty Rat Pipe. Came with a deal. Rough but maybe. I see a small hole in the header pipe I should try to repair. Nope, it just gets worse. No way. No stinger but I did have one sawed off of an equally nice 94A pipe. Homemade insert by me in times of need. Heat guard mounts pulled out. A bad repair on the back cone, miscellaneous dings. Junk or challenge? Looks interesting, I’ll give it a shot. This tubing bend almost fits but how you hold it in position? Tie everything down in original position and saw ‘er off, put a piece in. Invent mount. Fake titanium paint. Fool part of the people some of the time. Actually VHT SP998 Cast iron. Who would know? Never give up. Maxie
Attachments
Metal mice.
Metal mice.
Hold still here.
Hold still here.
Getting better.
Getting better.
New guard mounts
New guard mounts
Back in service B+, grade and model.
Back in service B+, grade and model.
Dale

Re: Ratty Rat Pipe

Post by Dale »

Max, I really like your jig. Having married new header sections to exhaust pipes I know how critical the alignment is and how difficult it can be. And when you are not your own welder, do overs are not acceptable!
Dale
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Really nice job on the pipe Maxie! I think this is a good one to show! The before & after speak volumes! I too like the jig setup! I’m sure it made things a lot easier to put back together! I better book mark this one! 😉 :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
MTrat

Post by MTrat »

Working on a similar project and really like your jig idea. Put it in the Resonator?
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

MTrat wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:42 am Working on a similar project and really like your jig idea. Put it in the Resonator?
Contributed for this issue of the Resonator but could be an article. Did another jig quite awhile back but similar for a cone replacement. Primitive and temporary but a quick way to keep things in position. Not rocket science. May have pictures of such. Something to consider! Max
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Glad you're back in biz, Maxie. Your builds are the best and I always learn a ton. Thank you!!