chain adjusters

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
givergas

chain adjusters

Post by givergas »

a couple of days ago i had to make a set of chain adjusters for another project and it got me thinking , well maybe its the fact that we just went through 2 weeks of below zero weather there's over a foot of snow on the ground and its snowing today, but i digress. that this little part doesn't get it due very often . it sits back there on the axel doing its job with out complaining , needs very little looking after , is simple and well made , and helps makes all the other drive train components' able to do there jobs a little more efficient , so any way ....albert
Attachments
IMG_7052.JPG
matt glascock

Re: chain adjusters

Post by matt glascock »

Well its about time someone around here showed a little chain adjuster love. Its like a perfect part. I don't recall ever seeing one fail. Here's to the chain adjuster, Albert.
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Albert,
Improperly Maintained Chains, Alignment, and Tension can cause Costly Damage to Chain Drive machines.

There is "Deflection Dimensions" and "Areas to check it", for Hodaka MC .

If a Chain becomes too loose, they will wear out the Primary and Final Drive Sprocket (Becoming Sharp Points, and larger Gaps tooth to tooth)
If you tighten the Chain too much the forces will eventually Damage the Bearings and eventually the Shafts.
This can also occur due to Misalignment of the 2 Sprockets. (Back wheel out of Parallel with the Primary Sprocket direction There is a inexpensive Chain Alignment tool to help with this alignment. (Google "Chain Alignment tool)

If the Chain and Or Sprockets become worn out, the chain can (and usually will) damage the Left Engine case, and even the Left Engine Case!!!
This has been referred to as "Loose Chain Syndrome".

A way to also avoid a chain becoming loose while you are driving it is an "Automatic Chain Tensioner".
Some Hodaka MCs came with them.
I made one for my 1968 Hodaka Ace 100 Model 92 "Restomod".
Attachments
Left Side View.jpg
Moxie 1944
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Wow! Nice scooter. I'd like to know more about it. Maybe a picture of the other side?
givergas

Post by givergas »

exactly , well put .. and that is a really fine looking bike . you should hijack this tread and tell us about this bike. i for one would like to know more about the tank , petcock , head light , and the "Automatic Chain Tensioner"...... albert
Dale

Post by Dale »

Ahhh, but they can fail! Several years back, a buddy limped his Wombat to the first rest stop on the Bad Rock ride. His right side chain adjuster was broken. We put the bike on a log, set the axle location and used a set of feeler gauges to fashion spacer ahead of the axle to lock it in place. Good times!!!
Dale
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

I have a couple of old chain tighteners in a small parts box. Stripped threads on one, head worn on the bolt do small it won’t stay in the tightener any longer.

Who ever used these must have been abusive! Can’t imagine what his chains looked like! Bet he went through a lot of sprockets & chains??? :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Hi Dale, I should have qualified that. Failed "for reason other than acute trauma".
Dale

Post by Dale »

matt glascock wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:51 pm Hi Dale, I should have qualified that. Failed "for reason other than acute trauma".
You're correct. There was a little trauma involved!
Dale
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Abusive or rode allot? The hodaka 90 only had a bolt welded to one side washer it was weak, when a 2 inch stick got stuck in the chain, it put undo pressure on the adjuster, causing it to fail. The chain was forced off of the rear sprocket, destroying the shifter case and many times it broke the case fastener, off of the engine, Anyone seen that? I had limited time available to go racing and I rode to finish the race. I devised what I called a quick change adjuster it only took a second to align and adjust the chain it never failed me in about 50 races. Also I could add links or take out links of chain. Clarence
[email protected]

Thank you All for your interest in My 1968 Hodaka Ace 100, Model 92, "Restomod".
I will soon post more on it FYI.
Moxie 1944
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Your bike is fantastic, it could have been done with a ace 90. What are your tank side protectors from. I like your color combination. ------ Clarence
[email protected]

Clarence,
The Side Knee Protectors came off Ebay.
They come with Really Sticky Backing!

There are a Lot of them in lots of styles, and Colors there.

It Kind of Brakes up the "Plain Tank" areas!
Moxie 1944