Glazed clutch discs?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Darrell

Glazed clutch discs?

Post by Darrell »

Hi all,

The 94 Wombat's clutch engagement is not very progressive and often engages suddenly with a "gronk" noise.

I've been using Castrol Axle Limited-Slip 80w90 GL5 gear oil "For Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Scooters, and ATVs" in this bike. My 250SL gets Royal Purple Synchromax. However, the Wombat wasn't as oil tight with the RP.

This is a traditional gear oil for BMW Airheads, which I also ride, and so I have this oil on my shelf and ready to go.

As for the Hodaka clutch action, is the oil not compatible and should be changed or is the problem likely clutch plate glazing?

Thanks for your collective wisdom and experience!
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Glazed clutch discs?

Post by Bullfrog »

Two items for you:
1. "Gronk" sound (I describe it as "grawnch" - but I digress) - prime indicator that your clutch pinion bushing is excessively worn.
2. When you have the following symptom as you slowly release the clutch lever - nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, AWAY WE GO!!! . . . That is a prime indication that the steel plates have a) sharp edges which are b) gouging into the clutch cage. Those steel plates "hang up" (with their sharp edges) until they finally can't hold on any more as the clutch release progresses and they "break loose" into full engagement and AWAY WE GO. (Gulp) If you are a Hodaka Club member, you have access to back issues of the club newsletter. There is an article on "blue-printing" the clutch which would be very helpful to you.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

PS: Glazed friction disks is not likely to be an issue. I have no experience with your "on the shelf" oil, but it should be OK if it is intended for use in motorcycles with wet clutches. If oil leaking is an issue, let's find the leak. First suspect is a loose countershaft sprocket nut (needs to be tight, or there will be a leak there).
Ed
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Bullfrog wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:34 pm Two items for you:
1. "Gronk" sound (I describe it as "grawnch" - but I digress) - prime indicator that your clutch pinion bushing is excessively worn.
2. When you have the following symptom as you slowly release the clutch lever - nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, AWAY WE GO!!! . . . That is a prime indication that the steel plates have a) sharp edges which are b) gouging into the clutch cage. Those steel plates "hang up" (with their sharp edges) until they finally can't hold on any more as the clutch release progresses and they "break loose" into full engagement and AWAY WE GO. (Gulp) If you are a Hodaka Club member, you have access to back issues of the club newsletter. There is an article on "blue-printing" the clutch which would be very helpful to you.
Ed
Thanks Ed!

Good ear, "grawnch" more accurately duplicates the sound.

I also found your enlightening and comprehensive article on "blue-printing" the clutch and "filed it" (lame pun -- but you'll get it) at the top of my job box.

All best,
Darrell
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

😄 not a lame pun 😇