Lighting coils

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Modracer70

Lighting coils

Post by Modracer70 »

Can someone explain the science behind having to run coils or blanks for a bike that would only be ridden on dirt? Or why can’t I just remove the lighting coils? What harm would it cause to the engine?

Thanks, Dave
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Lighting coils

Post by Bullfrog »

The Kokusan-Denki engineers included coil cores on the magneto for the toaster tank Super Rats and also for the Combat Wombat. While I can't provide the scientific information to describe exactly why they did that, I do have confidence that the engineers had a good reason(s?) for doing that. It seems clear they thought having a coil core was better than just having air there. So I'd recommend having coil blank(s) - as designed and produced.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

It was recommended to us back in the beginning of time when we first started our race modifications on the ace 90. It was recommended buy the best there was then Harry Taylor and still my best reference today. Balanced magnetic drag?? I don't know but a blank is of such little weight. I do not know of any problems one way or another.----Clarence
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Thank you Clarence - I forgot to mention the "balance" of magnetic forces. That balanced "focus" of magnetic forces could be one of the engineering factors. I'm not aware of any notable risks to the engine if running without a blank core in place . . . so you could probably operate without the coil core if you don't have one. However, I'm pretty sure there is no good reason to remove the blank coil core if the mag came with one.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!