Holy swing arm BatMan!

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Shameless

Holy swing arm BatMan!

Post by Shameless »

My gall darn swing arm bolt is super duper stuck and I need some advice.

I’m guessing this thing has been stuck in there since way before I bought her. The threaded end is all buggered up from what appears to be some one else’s bolt battle trying to get it removed too.

I removed the Allen bolt from the pinch collar and the bolt didn’t have a nut on the threaded end due to the threads being such a mess.

I also took of the zirk so I don’t funk it up somehow too and now just need to figure out how to get the durn thang out.

Sprayed a hefty dose of Knocker Loose on the threaded end and let soak over night. Gave her a few whacks to see if it would indeed knock ‘er loose but no luck.

What is a Gal to do now my friends?
Press? Heat (if so where)? Tanerite?

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks
🦄👍🏼
thrownchain

Re: Holy swing arm BatMan!

Post by thrownchain »

Grenade
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I'm thinking press, machine shop?? ------ Clarence
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I'm thinking press, machine shop?? ------ Clarence
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Hacksaw off the mushroomed end of the bolt. It sounds wrecked anyway. That might improve your penetrating oil ingress into the bolt channel. Then, with the patience of Job, heat the bolt channel in the swing arm gently (heat gun or propane torch), allow to cool, and tap, again gently, on the sawn end of the bolt, with a drift/hammer. Be patient. The heating and cooling with associated swelling and contracting of the metals is intended to fracture all the points of fusion. If you would publish a close-up photo of the area of concern, I'd bet more effective suggestions will come your way. I have yet to identify any role for heavily whanging away with a hammer on any part of an Hodaka motorcycle you don't want wrecked. You appear to be contending with the after effect of someone else's learning of that lesson the hard way.
mac

Post by mac »

+1 to what Matt said. Patience is key along with multiple heat and cool down cycles.
Oh, and definitely pics !
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Hmmm. Seems you’re getting a lot of the same answers you got on the phone today.

Gentlemen. I suspect her swing arm bolt has rusted to the inside of the bushings. My concern was heating the swing arm too much might melt the bushings. Trying to avoid that kind of mess.

But, if it’s stuck in the bushings, how would one get the bushings and swing arm bolt out together?

The good news is Shamesless has a replacement swing arm bolt assembly in the mail to her. So she can cut the mushroomed end of the threaded side and hit it.

Come on Shameless. Trim the threaded end and use a punch & hammer to try pushing that bolt out. I liked Matt’s suggestion of heat it, let it cool and then try knocking it out.

You can also thread the nylock nut back on the end after you cut the mushroomed section off. That will give you a bigger area to hit. If the bolt moves you can then unscrew the nut.

Best of luck Shameless. I hope you get it off before the replacement arrives in the mail. And remember what I told you. Don’t give up! You’re smarter than a piece of steel! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

And remember - the heat -> cool -> tap sequence is a cycle you repeat over and over again with insane amounts of patience - like watching paint dry level patience. After you get it moving, tapping it back and forth occasionally as you progress might get it moving faster. I learnt that on here somewheres and have used the technique a million times since. To whom ever put that pearl up: Thank you!
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

I too am an acolyte of the penetrating oil, heat cycle, hammer, repeat, repeat, repeat technique. The swing arm pivot is a true "bear" of an item because of the rather large area which can become "one" with the bolt in EACH bushing. Patience and persistence. If you decide to find someone with a hydraulic press, be SURE there is proper support for the frame.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

From the first post, it sounds like a later model swingarm, the ones without the rubber bushings pressed into the frame. If that is true, heat won't harm it as there are no rubber bushings.

Before you cut the mushroomed end off, you might try to cut a slot into it, like a large flat blade screw. Then, after a treatment of oil and heat, see if you can turn the bolt with a large screwdriver (maybe an impact driver) to see if that loosens it any.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Cool idea. I never thought of that. That would eliminate the possibility of frame damage from someone getting impatient with the hammer. Maybe a hot tip for The Res?
givergas

Post by givergas »

or vise gripe before you cut and try and work it back and forth
mac

Post by mac »

Those are good ideas. Get it to turn and it will come out. I wonder if an air hammer/chisel would shock it enough to get it moving after the heat/cooling and soaking was done.
5073E685-0044-45EC-8EC9-C1E239CE9228.jpeg
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Hey Shameless! Did you receive the package yet? :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)