Combat Wombat Rear Suspension Travel

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Dal Aymond

Combat Wombat Rear Suspension Travel

Post by Dal Aymond »

What is the rear suspension travel on a stock Combat Wombat with factory shocks?
What is the recommended length to extend a stock swingarm?
How much travel can be gained by extending the swingarm?
Thank you.
Dal Aymond

Re: Combat Wombat Rear Suspension Travel

Post by Dal Aymond »

i.e. 4", 3", 2 1/2", etc ...
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Keep in mind that swing arm extensions are usually done to achieve a longer wheelbase, with resulting smoother/"slower" handling. Not so much to get increased wheel travel. Also note that if you intend to compete in AHRMA, you'll be limited to 4" of rear wheel travel.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Dal Aymond

Post by Dal Aymond »

Thank you, Ed. That is basically what I am trying to find out. I want to ride in the Classic Class in AHRMA. If the Combat Wombat already has 4" of rear travel, then I don't want to extend the swingarm, even if it will improve handling. If extending the swingarm will not put me over 4", then I would like to, as it should improve handling.
Stever

Post by Stever »

Just a thought here. The CW is a pretty nice handling bike, very predictable but still very nimble. You might try the forward upper shock mounting hole and different spring preloads before doing any cutting and welding on your swingarm. Then you would know exactly what capabilities were built in, and proceed from there.

-Stever
Dal Aymond

Post by Dal Aymond »

Thank you, Stever. I've pretty much decided against any cutting, welding, and extending to my swingarm.
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

An old timers trick is to add a link to the chain and run the wheel adjusters as far back as possible. This adds and inch to the wheelbase on a CW. We put rubber hoses over the adjuster bolts sticking out so we wouldnt get torn open in a mash up. Dont know if it ever helped me win a moto, but a lot of the race is run in your head.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

I will play devils advocate and trumpet the handling improvements with a bit of swinging arm extension based on before/after experience. The two inches of additional length doesn't seem like that big a deal, but I'm here to tell you the handling improvements on an MX course are significant. Both my CWs are extended thusly. They track better on all types of terrain (particularly severely rutted tracks if you blow your line), they are less wheelie-prone when you pin it out of a corner, and they are more forgiving if you get out of shape - especially while landing jumps. In general, the bikes just seem to go where you point them better. Worth considering.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Matt. Who does this kind of swing arm work? I’m not a good enough welder to attempt it. :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Me either, Victor. All of my race bike's swinging arms were extended by Hodaka Dave. Great welder.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Ahh. Should have known! OK thanks! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

Dal,

If you did decide to extend the swingarm, your rear wheel travel would still depend on what shocks you were running and upper and lower shock locations. As far as racing in AHRMA, they will measure your bike at tech inspection and if they determine that you have over 4" travel, they give you spacers that attach to your shock shafts to limit your travel to 4". Has never been a problem for me and with my Works shocks the bike has just over 4" travel. Once spacers are installed I'm good to go.
Dal Aymond

Post by Dal Aymond »

Thank y'all for all of the comments. I appreciate it.