Wrong Ace100B Crank Cases?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Ace100B

Wrong Ace100B Crank Cases?

Post by Ace100B »

Do I have the wrong crank cases for my Ace100B?
A44975

Left Case (next to kickstart) with Drain fill.
IMG_0431.jpeg
Right Case but no drain plug or anything
IMG_0430.jpeg
matt glascock

Re: Wrong Ace100B Crank Cases?

Post by matt glascock »

Your photos depict the clutch and magneto covers - not crankcase halves. Incidentally, you have your right and left labels reversed. The drain plug is as shown on the right crankcase half. Its great to see you digging into that insanely cool bike. Good help every step of the way here on this forum.

PS- If you don't have an Official Hodaka Workshop Manual (factory published that is, not Clymer, etc.), save yourself a million headaches and muy dinero and score one now.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Post pics of the rest of the motor. Should look like this, but right side up.
Attachments
039AF71D-8536-4CA5-9E0B-6B81D4B45632.jpeg
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

A44975 numbers match a Ace 100B model 92A. The model began with frame number A38713. ---Clarence
Ace100B

Post by Ace100B »

ThrownChain/Matt

I think I just explained the location when looking AT the bike. The case with the drain fill is on the left side of my bike and on the right side I have this case "attached"
IMG_0430.jpeg
It has no drain plug, I literally had to crack each case to pull out the gear oil.
Ace100B

Post by Ace100B »

What are the center cases? When i pulled the clutch case and shift cover off this is what I have. Thinking I may have just found the drain plug? So why when I cracked these covers oil came out? Is that just the oil/gas mixture from tank?
IMG_0434.jpeg
IMG_0432.jpeg
IMG_0433.jpeg

Please excuse the dumb questions, I am brand NEW to bikes
Al Harpster

Post by Al Harpster »

Ace100B: you're going to be far Better off with the Hodaka Workshop Manual.

It's really quite helpful.

If you like, email me & I'll scan the pages re. The area you are working in & I'll email them to you.

Just like you can't tell the players without a program, you can't do the best job without the Manual.
Ace100B

Post by Ace100B »

Ok, my manual is going to be here next week. I'll email you though
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

The clutch (right) side cover is filled with the same oil that lubricates the transmission so when it is removed, several ounces of oil are released. That is normal. If you are seeing oil drain when removing the magneto (left) side cover, you have a leaking crankshaft seal. That's ok. All seals should be changed anyway.

PS - Yes, the third picture in your last post does identify the transmission oil drain plug.
Ace100B

Post by Ace100B »

Thanks Matt,

So if Im getting this right to change transmission oil I:

1: Remove covers (Clutch and Magneto)
2: Remove plug as pictured (Tran oil will leak out)
3.Put covers back on and fill up compartment with Gear oil via the drain fill on magneto cover?
Ace100B

Post by Ace100B »

So just removed drain plug, tran oil came out.

Want to be clear where I refill out tho. Do i refill with the fill plug on magneto cover? Does that oil somehow seep into engine which is why the drain plug is inside under engine?

See pIcs
IMG_0438.jpeg
Or is the drain fill somehwhere else with the covers off?
IMG_0439.jpeg
Like right here:
FullSizeRender.jpeg
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Correct generally. You don't need to remove the magneto cover to change the oil and the oil fill hole is on the clutch (right side )cover. If oil is accumulating in the mag cover, you have a leaking mag side crank shaft oil seal. If you completely drain all oil from the machine (crank case and clutch cover empty), the correct amount to replenish is one-and-a-quarter pints. Also, missing from step #3 above, don't forget to replace the drain plug before you replenish the oil supply. I've tried it the other way. Messy. Also, remember when asking questions, the right and left side of the bike are so named from the perspective of a rider sitting on the saddle facing the handle bars. From that perspective, the clutch is on the right and the magneto is on the left, the rear brake foot lever is on the right and the gear shift lever is on the left, etc..
Last edited by matt glascock on Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

What you have indicated with the arrow is the crank case breather. The oil fill port is on the clutch cover. There will be a white plastic cap with a built-in dipstick indicating the correct fill hole. The first picture you posted on this thread shows the clutch cover where the oil fill hole is located. Your cap seems to be missing the dipstick. No biggie for now, but ultimately a new one should be sourced (dirt cheap).
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

I just took a closer look at the photo of your clutch cover. It looks like someone replaced your oil fill cap/dipstick with a magnetic bolt (probably a drain plug from another bike). Anyway, that is where you will replenish the oil.
Last edited by matt glascock on Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

The guys are getting you dialed in the proper names of parts and where they go, but I want to add that I noticed your clutch screws are not safety wired. You should not operate the machine in that condition. Y'all really do need an Official Hodaka Workshop Manual to guide with parts identification and repair/adjustment procedures - including safety wiring the clutch.

Ed
PS: Getting parts names right is particularly important when asking for long distance diagnosis and advice. Illustrated Parts lists can be especially helpful in finding the proper name for each part - and they are available at hodaka-parts.com

PPS: Matt meant 1 and 1/4 pints (not ounces). :)
Keep the rubber side down!
Ace100B

Post by Ace100B »

Bullfrog,

can you please point to where this drain fill is? I was under the impression it was on the right side (using proper terminology) on the magneto cover?

See picture:
IMG_0431-5.jpeg
Also would you mind pointing to where my clutch screws are? I was under the impression:

My Clutch was on the left side of bike: See pictures

FullSizeRender-9.jpeg
FullSizeRender-11.jpeg
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

Ace100B(guy),

Perhaps these reworked photos will get you on track on what parts are what and which side of the machine they fit on. Hope they help.
Ace100Guy21 copy.jpg
Ace100Guy23 copy.jpg
Ace100Guy24 copy.jpg
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

Ace100Guy27 copy.jpg
Ace100Guy28 copy.jpg
Ace100Guy28 copy.jpg (80.62 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
Hope they help. Please feel free to surf over to Hodaka-Parts.com to review Illustrated Parts Lists. The "exploded drawings" of the complete machine can convey a LOT of information to you.

Ed
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Holy crap, Captain. Ounces...pints?? Maybe I need to slow down so I can go faster :?. Nice annotated pictures, by the way. That should really help.