Over it, spark issues

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
wildzebra

Over it, spark issues

Post by wildzebra »

Hello, I’ve been dealing with this too long. Rebuilt my 71 b+. Must of got a bad batch of condensers. Because I had spark. Then no spark. Checked condenser top popped off. Same on second and third. Victor sent me a kawi one. Great spark couldn’t get it to start. Friend came over for moral support got it started. He commented don’t think this is supposed to happen. Shut it off. Video showing sparks popping in flywheel. Took off fly wheel. Condenser was rubbing on fly wheel, so that was the problem. Damaged condenser. Found an old parts stator. Pulled condenser and put it in b+. Sparked first kick then nothing.

Honestly I’m not looking for advice. I know all the stuff I need to look for. I’m over it. I need a fresh pair of eyes/hands. I have money, parts, love, gratitude, thankfulness... just no more patience. I’ve worked long and hard. I just want to reap the rewards and ride. Please if you can help contact me. I will send my stator to be fixed, trade, buy. I’m going to order another kawi condenser in case things don’t pan out for now. Thank you.
Al Harpster

Re: Over it, spark issues

Post by Al Harpster »

https://youtu.be/nV8prGHTlIM

The gentleman in this video has been reported to recondition stator assemblies.

His phone & email are at the end of the video.

This may be an option for you.
wildzebra

Post by wildzebra »

Thanks Al, I’m going to order another condenser try one more time. I know it’s a condenser issue. I just have stuff piling up, (I repair vintage switchblades), got a break line out. I’m just sick of doing the same shit over and over. Ruining parts, getting bad parts, used parts, parts that don’t fit that need modified. Headache.

I could still use your expertise on leaky petcocks. The 69 is dialed in and running like a champ. I was over in your neighborhood tooling around the other day.

Thanks
Dale

Post by Dale »

With that many failed attempts I would consider installing a remotely located condenser at the coil under the fuel tank. It is simple and puts the condenser in a safer environment.
Dale
wildzebra

Post by wildzebra »

Please advise on that.

I’m going to buy one more condenser. Then I’m selling everything I don’t need and buying a pvl. So HMU with inquiries.
Al Harpster

Post by Al Harpster »

ddvorak can help with the condenser relocation information. Soldering in replacements to the stator is a pain & I'd give it up if I were you.

ddvorak can also connect you to a procedure to verify your coil, plug wire & plug cap using a couple D cell batteries & some wires.

I've used this D cell trick & it works. If you want to continue working it you'd best start with this test. Needs to be rather dark to see the test spark.

But if you want to turn this over to a guy experienced with testing & repairing I'd give California Hodaka a call.

It's gonna be cheaper than a PVL and that install could bring you headaches too.

The magneto system is reliable. I'd stick with it.

Contact me directly with any petcock repair or just drop them off.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Here is some information for installing a remotely located condenser. If you prefer a stock setup, then the reference to Greg at California Hodaka to rehab a stator is spot on. He does beautiful work. If you just want reliable spark then the remotely located condenser will provide that.

Any automobile points system condenser that is in the range of 25 to 27 microfarads will work just fine. I have used both of these condensers. Echlin RR174 available at NAPA and Mallory 400 available online or at Autozone. The mounting hole on these are 5mm. The coil mounts using two 6mm bolts. Just replace one of them with a 5mm and make sure that you have a bare surface that will provide a good ground to the body of the condenser.

Here is a link to a great post by Danny Cooke that provides details for the wiring.
http://hodakaforum.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 003#p16003

Here is another link that talks about using a battery source to test for spark.
http://hodakaforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3655&p=31351

Hope this helps,
Dale
Dale
wildzebra

Post by wildzebra »

Thanks so much guys. I’ve relaxed a bit 😂 Gave Greg a call. I know this system is reliable. I’m going to give one more try with the kawi condenser because I had great spark, it ran, and the issue was obvious. I’ll just have to work around the height issue. Otherwise I will send it off for a refurb. Engines rebuilt, forks, wiring, coil, points, might as well spend the extra and do it right.

I’ll read the above info.
Al thanks I’ll email you here in a few days. I have a set pulled for this one, but my 68 has a leaky one also.

Take care. Thanks
wildzebra

Post by wildzebra »

Ordered another kawi condenser. Since I had results. Just need to figure how to mount it lower. Then it’s out of my hands and off to Greg if that doesn’t work. My patience is high, but it’s reached its level with this one.