Reed and Respond

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
matt glascock

Reed and Respond

Post by matt glascock »

Looking for consensus here. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts regarding changing reeds. Both for race and street. Is this a routine service item or do you replace based on hours, motos, or performance? Do you inspect routinely and change if feathered or split? Do you reinstall if they look serviceable or change anyway and keep good looking ones for an urgent need at the track say. Thanks everybody, and stay safe.
taber hodaka

Re: Reed and Respond

Post by taber hodaka »

I have never changed mine, should I be ashamed, that probably isn't going to happen. Let the masters provide the correct answer I don't have the metal reeds.-------------Clarence
Dale

Post by Dale »

I am in Clarence's camp on this one. I run 6 bikes that are reeded. Only my 98 Super Rat gets raced. It received new fiber reeds when I rebuilt it and I have not looked at them since. Bike runs flawlessly. The other 5 had the reeds cleaned and inspected on their rebuilds and none of them have been looked at since.

If I were a "serious" racer, I would probably add a check of the reeds to my post race service check list. I am not that racer so I just don't worry about them.
Dale
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

High mileage reeds can even wear into the reed block. Good to look at all this stuff occasionally. Next question, who sells reeds?
Attachments
DSCN1137.jpg
Dale

Post by Dale »

hodakamax wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:09 am High mileage reeds can even wear into the reed block. Good to look at all this stuff occasionally. Next question, who sells reeds?
Good info Max. And Terry has them in stock according to the website. I know there are other sources as well.
Dale
MTrat

Post by MTrat »

I have some black reed I've used in a reeded Ace. They seem stiffer than the light colored ones. Any input? Which are preferred?
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Terry lists 3 different stiffnesses for reeds. Should talk with him before you buy new ones .
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

Most of the Hodaka reed cages will also take Boysen Reeds (the ones for the Husqvarna 125, Item # 613). They are the duel reed design. They do require some slight trimming to fit into the cage. Supposed to be a performance upgrade.