long range projects?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
givergas

long range projects?

Post by givergas »

when you have a project thats going to take a long time to get together for what ever reason. lets say a year or two would it be wise to rebuild the engine and let it sit till you have the bike ready to start, or accumulate all the parts you will need then put it together. i do know that some parts it really doesn't matter. but how would some of you go about this. would really like to know.....albert
thrownchain

Re: long range projects?

Post by thrownchain »

If the motor is properly lubed when put together and then stored properly, shouldnt make a difference.
Dale

Post by Dale »

I think Thrownchain is correct. At least I sure hope so as I have that situation right now. I use assembly lube on all the gears and transmission bearings and lightly lube the cylinder, rod bearings, piston and rings with my pre-mix oil. I also grease the inner lips of all seals. Even with all this, I still plan to get a frame ready to receive the motor as soon as possible.
Dale
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

I always save the motor for last, based on degree of difficulty and the acquisition of parts. If you have a complete rolling chassis, it’s much easier to then rebuild a motor & then drop it in and rest and adjust. Some folks like to do it prior to redoing the chassis. But for me, that usually means doing a lot of things twice. Just my 2 cents.

If I were to rebuild a motor and store it for use later, I would make sure I put good oil in it and turn it over with the kick start every once in awhile so the seals don’t start drying out. :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
thirdstone

Post by thirdstone »

I’ve never used assembly lube on Hodaka Engines but after recently rebuilding later two stroke engines I’m warming to it . Seals themselves will stay fresh on the assembled engines for a long time , a very light smear of grease on the parts they seal against would not hurt . I also think it’s a good idea to turn the engine over by hand every few months .