Ace 100 hot wire

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Camman

Ace 100 hot wire

Post by Camman »

Need some assistance bypassing the main switch on an Ace 100. The wiring harness has not been connected yet or the main switch but I would like to check for spark before proceeding. The ignition coil is connected to the magneto with the blue and black wires. Do I connect the second black wire from the condenser back to the coil to bypass the switch? Also, do I connect the second blue wire from the condenser ground back to the ignition coil to check for spark without the main switch?

Thank you for any assistance. It is always appreciated.
-Chris
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Ace 100 hot wire

Post by Bullfrog »

All that is needed to check spark is to connect the blue and black wires from the magneto stator to the blue and black wires from the high tension coil under the tank.

By NOT connecting any of the other wires from the magneto to any of the wires in the wiring harness . . . the main switch and the lighting system are eliminated from operation - and from complicating your diagnosis process.

NOTE: Is the question about the black wire/condenser an implication that you are rewiring the magneto stator . . . or simply that you wonder if you have to do something in addition to making the connection listed in paragraph one of this message? (you don't)

Ed

PS: You may not know this, but the main switch simply "short circuits" the output from the magneto stator (black wire) to "ground" when it is in the OFF position. This "short circuiting" dumps the juice before it gets to the coil . . . so no spark is produced.
Keep the rubber side down!
Camman

Post by Camman »

Well Ed, here's the deal...the bike had spark and even ran before I rebuilt the stator. The same primary coil was used and I added a lighting coil which was missing. New points and condenser, points are opening, same high tension coil which is grounded to the frame as needed. Guess I will pull the magneto and retrace my wiring. What about air gap? I didn't check this. Or maybe I grounded out the points? Thanks for clearing up the main switch question. I was not sure how the off position operated. What is the purpose of the additional blue and black wire from the condenser to the main switch?
-Chris
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

I will jump in here as Ed is probably asleep yet. I couldn't sleep as I was just laying there thinking about what I needed to take with me to Athena. Chris, as Ed stated in his PS: the other blue and black wires simply go to the switch and back and when the switch is in the off position it is shorting out the connection from the magneto stator to the coil, thus not allowing juice to get to the coil.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
Camman

Post by Camman »

Thanks Bill. I realized that Ed had already answered my last question as I was drifting off to sleep last night. It was a " da" senior moment.
-Chris