Hodaka help in Oregon

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Cruisermar

Hodaka help in Oregon

Post by Cruisermar »

Anyone know of a good mechanic who knows their way around a Hodaka in Oregon? I think I’ve reached my limits in terms of mechanical aptitude on several projects and wouldn’t mind having more of an expert take a crack at them. I know several that have been recommended on the other side of the country, was just hoping to avoid the shipping hassle.
viclioce

Re: Hodaka help in Oregon

Post by viclioce »

What kind of help do you need? Rebuild help? Machining help? Can you be a bit more specific?

Gee. Aren’t there a boat load of members in Oregon? Like Captain Ed? Nate? And more??? :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Cruisermar

Post by Cruisermar »

Rebuild help, compression issues for sure. Maybe carb tuning... hard to tell until the compression issue is fixed. Was drawing oil from the crankcase into the cylinder also. Tried to fix that but now no compression, so I don’t know if that issue even got resolved. Kinda feel like I’m chasing my tail.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

What did you do to repair the oil leak into the motor?
Cruisermar

Post by Cruisermar »

I cracked the cases cleaned things out (replaced the kick roller retainer while I was in there) and then resealed it with some Threebond liquid gasket.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Did you change all the seals when you had the cases apart? It sounds like a clutch-side seal leak. Leak-down test time. If you can split the cases, you can overhaul the carb for sure. It would be helpful (necessary really) if we knew what model you are working on so we can provide better, model-specific information.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Yep, if you didn't put in a new clutch side crank seal, you get to go back in. You also mention low compression, did you put in new rings on a fresh hone? New head gasket?
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Cruiser, what part of Oregon do you live in. I think I have a few people,s names that are knowledgeable that can help, but need to know where you live. Thanks Bruce
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Yup, lots of questions . . . beginning with, "Where are you?"

What model of Hodie?
Did the loss of compression show up immediately after putting the engine together?

. . . and a comment, sure sounds like the clutch side seal should have been replaced while the cases were apart. OK, two comments - ALL two stroke engines MUST be air-tight, so pressure testing should be a part of any engine rebuild.

While I can offer lots of advice/guidance, you don't want to "get in line" for repairs from my garage. I'm four years into the project of repairing my own trials bike, three years into the plan to simply rebuild the clutch on my Combat Wombat engine and starting the third year of completing a rebuild on a Toad engine for a friend I've known since about 1970 - so their might be hope of finishing yours sometime this decade (but no guarantees). :shock:

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Cruisermar

Post by Cruisermar »

Thanks for all the advice and unfortunately accurate suggestions. I did not replace the clutch side crank seal, or any other for that matter when I was in there. Guess that’s what I get for trying to do this on the cheap. I’m working on a model 92B(+)? I did re-hone the cylinder and put a new piston and rings in it I got from Terry. It’s a .04 over bore. New gaskets and the works on the top end. Hence the cost cutting on the lower end. I did rebuild the carb as well (Rebuild kit from HPI) could never tell if it was working right because of the oil issue. This was a roller when I got it, so I never really had anything to compare compression against. But the fact that it would barely go over 5 mph, smoked like a chimney and black oil was dripping out of the tail pipe led me to think compression was an issue. I did put a compression gage on it and it was reading 80-90 lbs at best. I’ll give it another try with new seals this time. See if anything changes. Thanks again for the tips. Lots of great experience and knowledge on this site. Especially for a ham handed mechanic like myself.
I’m in the greater Portland area, so anything from Eugene Northward or Bend Westward is an easy trip for me. If anyone knows of a good mechanic in that area that hasn’t put their kids through college yet, I might be able to help them out, depending on how all this goes.
Thanks!
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Cruisermar, thank you for the location, please give me a phone call 1--208--571--2823 during week, and I can give you some contacts in your area. Bruce Young
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

In most instances oil being drawn into the motor it's the right side crank seal, but in all circumstances you change both seals ( why not you're already in there). As for compression a good rule of thumb is you should be putting out 150lbs to be in the right. Race motor will produce more. You tried to do it on the cheap, might better do it right.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

When you tested compression did you do it with the throttle wide open & keep kicking until the needle stopped going up? :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

I’m in Eugene, and no, I’m not your expert, but may be able to suggest one. Call me 541-954-0101.
Bob