Maximum B+ Project!

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
hodakamax

Maximum B+ Project!

Post by hodakamax »

For those not on Facebook. Max has been rummaging around the neighborhood barns and discovered some treasures and next projects. Check out this 1971 Ace 100B+ that has just emerged from decades of darkness to be re-born! Catchy name for the project, a nice ring to it I thought, Maximum B+ Project. Explanatory. This will be fun, I'll try to keep you posted! Maxie :o
Attachments
IMG_6031 (1).jpg
Dale

Re: Maximum B+ Project!

Post by Dale »

Glad to see your project on the forum for all to see and enjoy.
My first "new" motorcycle was a B+. I loved it and that model will always be my favorite Hodaka.
Dale
Dale
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Great score, Maxie. The Ace looks nearly complete. The Wombat looks like it was set up for enduro work. I can't wait to see the rebirthing process underway! Your smile really speaks volumes. Congrats!

PS- That Ace looks waaaaayeeee too nice as a core builder for one of your projects. Where's the Partridge Family-themed gas tank?? :lol:
givergas

Post by givergas »

as my tin foil hat keeps me from participating in facebook really glad to see your project here. now i can see how an expert does it...albert
ossa95d

Post by ossa95d »

I'm with you Albert. I'm not a Facebooker either and this forum is a lot more fun when Maxie is here!
Ivan AKA "Pop"
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

I, on the other hand, do both the forum and FB. It’s nice to see you’re documenting in both places!
Best of luck Maxie and continue to keep us posted!

Maxie has stated this is going to be his personal, dual purpose Hodaka since it has all the lights needed to be street legal. So he can ride this one on the street!

Keep up the good work Maxie! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Tether

Post by Tether »

I do not do FB either.

That Ace is so nice I’m not sure I would even wash it. Get it mechanically good and leave as much of the “barn” as possible on it.
Sal Monila

Post by Sal Monila »

I just started my first Hodaka project. It is a 1971 B+ in similar condition. I'm having trouble getting spark. I did get one good spark but none after. I just keep going over available information and re checking. Reading this post and seeing one in tact gives me a renewed vigor and enthusiasm.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey thanks Gang! First step, the exploded view. Not as nice as it looks but a good specimen to work with. Typical 47 year-old bike that has that oil/dust concrete-like stuff plus rust. This will have to be addressed down to the last bolt. A beginning here. Exciting even! Maxie
Attachments
DSCN7650.jpg
mac

Post by mac »

Glad you posted on here Max. I saw it on FB but could not comment cause I’m not a member just a lurker. It will be fun to see it progress with your commentary and pics.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Cool Maxie. It even has the pump. Does it work? Great start!!
Last edited by matt glascock on Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Cool Maxie. Even has the pump. Does it work? Great start!! What's the dope on the Wombat?

PS- clearly I don't know how to edit a post.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Matt. Well the pump hisses, haven't really tried it on a tire. The Wombat. Three actually, in varying stages from this one to a boat anchor with no engine. I did find a Combat Wombat cylinder, carb and head In the pile. Could be an interesting 125 project with lights and performance. Lotsa options but rode hard and put away wet. Still pondering and sorting but the 100b+ is best and with title. Actually two of these to either make one one cool one and maybe another trail bike. Stay tuned, so to speak! Maxie ;)
Attachments
Two best of five!
Two best of five!
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Fun, fun, and more fun! What a score. I didn't see the buddy seat on the B+ in the first picture. The CW parts are a great bonus and certainly opens a few doors for the Wombat project. You tunneled into a pretty rich seam there Maxie! I do hope you favor us with some "thinking out loud" as you go through the prerequisite inventory and planning process. I always get great insight from your method of deciding which way to go with these bikes. One wonders now many more of these forgotten machines are slumbering away in the back of a barn waiting for someone with your skills and passion to breathe a new and better life into them. Great stuff, Maxie. Looking forward to riding along on your next adventure.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Thanks Matt! One thing I don't have is a street legal Hodaka. This B+ project could fill that void. On the bland side this could be restored to a near mint example but there many fine examples existing. I always saw Hodakas as base units, a start to a personalized modified machine that expresses the true meaning of motorcycling and fun. No rules. I'm starting to see this with bright red paint and shiny chrome tank but with useful mods of the time and some uniqueness to set it apart from stock. Some ideas involve things like a Webco head, abbreviated lighting, cool aluminum skid plate and aggressive tires. Maybe something exhaust wise. Even a two-bolt GEM reed set up with 24mm carb could be in the picture. All bolt on stuff that changes out either direction. Classic useful mods of the time. All conjecture at this point and standard refurb is the plan for the moment. Looks like a fun project! Maxie :)
Attachments
DSCN7633.jpg
DSCN7628.jpg
mac

Post by mac »

The B+ is my favorite Hodaka. I turned my B into a mild trials bike and it is fun but... it’s a real hoot just cow trailing through the woods so I’m going to put it back to mostly original. The title with yours makes it really cool !
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Well Maxie, you are sure carrying on in the finest tradition of Hodaka builders/modifiers. I think the tradition is a result of the fact that Hodaka motorcycles are great to begin with. That's why we never find ourselves lined up next to a really cool works Carabella. No matter which direction you go, you end up with either an awesome B+ or the sky's the limit custom Ace. Those are nice decisions to have to make, huh? Excitedly following (and thinking about the Ace roller I have in the shed) :)
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Just a DPO one I've not seen before. After 47 years, maybe I should peek inside this engine and refresh the seals. Visually, not counting external crud, this looks to be a fairly low mileage engine that's never been opened. Wrong. All looks fine but someone's been in here as the clutch side crankcase seal is in backwards. Crank is fine, standard bore, needing a piston. I'll put new seals and bearings in the crankcase for a fresh start. Report. Maxie ;)
Attachments
DSCN7687.jpg
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Max, this should not come as a surprise to anyone, engines and bikes that look untouched, only upon closer inspection, like you say "someone had been there before" and with little knowledge or know how, tried to make things work, its the "vintage Hodaka Way" and I am sure other machines as well. With little resources, owners did their best to enjoy the experience, right or wrong, and it take,s an expert like yourself to note the error. Thanks for being there and Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Maxie. When are we going to see those cleaned fender & tank pics??? Curious minds want to know!!! ;) Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Ah ha. Now I see what is happening. This metal automotive seal was used by the PO. Looks like it was working except for some extra void in the crankcase. One I've not seen before! I'll put that on the list of discovered anomalies in rebuilding. Was it still backwards?
Attachments
DSCN7689.jpg
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

If it is a double lip seal, I don't think it would matter which way it is installed, other than as you noted more of a void area in the crankcase area. As long as the metal side didn't rub against any moving parts.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Interesting find, Maxie. The ID of that seal looks waaaaayyyyee out of round like it has been machined. Is the crank OK?
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

I think that is the result of being pried out of the case.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Duh! Thanks for clearing that up, Dirty. Heck, there's the pry bar right there in the picture.