Instructions for Ace 5sp

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
bobwhitman

Instructions for Ace 5sp

Post by bobwhitman »

Clarence or anyone- I need a copy of the instructions for fitting a 5 speed into Ace90 cases. These were offered by PABATCO with the “91R” close ratio and the wide ratio (early 92) transmissions.
Also, will someone explain when/why the 92s changed from “snap clip” to nut fasteners for the sprocket end?
Bob
Dale

Re: Instructions for Ace 5sp

Post by Dale »

Here is a link to a forum discussion that has a post of the instruction sheet...

http://www.hodakaforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1165
Dale
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Thank you, Dale.

Also, Jay from MT (Scribbler from 2015 I think) had sent mew the sheet back then, and it was hiding in my computer files. Jay was kind enough to send it again today. So... if anyone needs this info, I now have and, more importantly, KNOW I HAVE IT!

Thank you Jay!

Bob
Al Harpster

Post by Al Harpster »

It'd be helpful to have some diagrams with those instructions.

Bob, if you take this on, perhaps snap a few pictures. Especially where these dimensions are given.

Are these dimensions before and after cutting, or does one "cut and fit"?

Signed: puzzled in Ohio.
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

I’ll post the instructions soon. I won’t be doing any machining, but if I have any dot, I’ll photo & post it.
Bob
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

My Ace 90 got the close-ratio 5-speed, one of the first as a dealer at the time. A cool old guy at the local machine shop did the work. We didn't have any Ace 100s to compare but now you do, should you have an extra crankcase laying around. Make the old one like the later one. Check out the Close-ratio 5-speed with its splined mainshaft. Cool stuff! Maxie
Attachments
Close-ratio 5-speed of the day!
Close-ratio 5-speed of the day!
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Ah, I knew Max would show up here. Your suggestion is what I'd like to do - fit the later 92 parts into 90 cases.
Attached are the instructions, courtesy of "Scribbler", Jay from MT.

Instructions for Installing the 5-Speed Gear Set in a Hodaka ACE 90 Crankcase

You will need the 5 speed gear set complete with a 5 speed foot change ratchet No. 912001R and control shaft No. 914609R.
You must dismantle the engine completely down to the bare crankcases. In the left hand crankcase you will have to relieve the casting on the dowel pin boss for the larger diameter kick start gear.

All of the machine work is done in the right hand crank case. You can use a good drill press and either an end mill cutter or a square type rotary file that has a cutting surface on the end. Just lock the drill press spindle at the proper depth and push the crankcase around on the drill press table to make your cuts.

The diameter of the cuts is governed by the diameter of two 5th gears that mesh together. The depth of the cut is measured from the crankcase center mating surface. The measurement prior to the machine operation is 1.150 inches of material to a dimension of 1.225 inches from the crankcase center mating surface. You will find that you will have to relieve the inside of the main shaft ball bearing boss so that the 5th gear on the main shaft will not rub the casting.

You should end up with about 0.010 inch end play on the counter shaft when everything is assembled but without the counter shaft sprocket installed. Before you put away your rotary files cut two new oil grooves similar to the ones you removed in your machine work. This will insure proper oiling to the bushing.

Before final assembly completely assemble the transmission, make sure everything turns freely and make sure you have the proper end play on the counter shaft. Note that the shoulders on the mainshaft gears go towards the primary gear and the shoulders on the countershaft gears go towards the counter shaft sprocket.

Be sure to change the control shaft to the 5 speed type as well as changing the foot change ratchet in the magneto cover.
When you change the foot change ratchet be sure that everything is tight and not worn out. There are shims available to take the side play out of the shifter arm and guide assembly, as well as shims to take the end play out of the foot change shaft.
You can adjust the placement of the control shaft by the eccentric headed shifter arm adjust bolt, No. 902026. This bolt clamps together the shifter guide No. 902021 and the shifter arm No. 902022. It allows you to move the control shaft either or out so that you can center the ball receiver on the ball bearings in the counter shaft.
Check to make sure the foot change shaft makes a full travel so that the foot change ratchet will pick up the foot change ratchet plunger, No. 902017 properly. You might have to trim the stops in the magneto cover so that you get full travel. It is wise to have the ratchet rotate far enough so that the plunger starts out of its notch in the ratchet. This will insure that you have full travel on the control shaft so you will not have erratic shifts.