shifting

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
SuperRat2110

shifting

Post by SuperRat2110 »

Hey fellas, wondering if this is normal for the 98's. When I run through gears on mine while riding I don't feel much resistance or "clicking" when I shift. Almost wouldn't know that you shifted if it wasn't for the rpms decreasing. When the bike is off you can definately feel the shifter clicking through the gears. Thanks for any feedback.

Shaun
Dale

Re: shifting

Post by Dale »

No, this is not normal.

It could be the plunger spring is not providing enough tension. You can remove the 10mm grease zert and use a pick to pull the spring out for inspection. There should be a tiny washer between the spring and the zert. This washer could be missing or the spring could be sacked. If the washer is there, you can add more. I often find 2 in place.

The other possibility is that the point on the plunger itself might be rounded off. A new point can be obtained on a grinder per the users manual. The plunger can only be removed from inside the cover, so disassembly is required.
Dale
Dale

Post by Dale »

Another possibility is that the ratchet spring is worn out. It does provide resistance in both shifting directions.
Dale
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

I would like to offer an opposing view. I didn't read any problem about shifting - only a question about how effortless shifting seems to be. When riding, the shifting is indeed almost magically easy without significant clicks/clunks. Just snick, snick, through the gears. Sounds to me like the rider AND the machine are shifting just fine.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Dale

Post by Dale »

Bullfrog wrote:I would like to offer an opposing view. I didn't read any problem about shifting - only a question about how effortless shifting seems to be. When riding, the shifting is indeed almost magically easy without significant clicks/clunks. Just snick, snick, through the gears. Sounds to me like the rider AND the machine are shifting just fine.
Ed
Well good point Ed. I guess I just assumed the worst case here...
Dale
SuperRat2110

Post by SuperRat2110 »

Hey guys, I will go over those components and check for wear on the the plunger. Almost positive the spring is fine and had 2 washers with it when I reassembled. Like I was it definitely clicks and there is moderate resistance when the bike is off. But when air shift from 3rd, 4th, and fifth it doesn't feel like it shifted. Maybe it's all good. My DS doesn't feel the same way. You can feel it shift (subtle click) through the gears.
SuperRat2110

Post by SuperRat2110 »

Hey guys, I will go over those components and check for wear on the the plunger. Almost positive the spring is fine and had 2 washers with it when I reassembled. It definitely clicks and there is moderate resistance when the bike is off. But when air shift from 3rd, 4th, and fifth it doesn't feel like it shifted. Maybe it's all good. My DS doesn't feel the same way. You can feel it shift (subtle click) through the gears.
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

. . . and you may be bumping into another "normal" situation with the painted tank Rat. For this old enduro rider, the Rat feels like 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd.
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

PS: I've literally counted my way back down through the gears on occasion to prove I've gotten all the to 5th - on the SC and the mdl98 Rat.
Ed
Dale

Post by Dale »

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd? Yep, that sounds about right.

I'm still leaning towards something being not correct with the Super Rat shifter. I ride both a 98 Super Rat and an 01 Dirt Squirt and there is not any noticeable difference in the feel of the shifts.
Dale
SuperRat2110

Post by SuperRat2110 »

That's probably a more accurate description of what I experience. Sounds like my rat is fine. Just bothered me enough to ask. Thanks again guys for your wealth of knowledge.