burned up basket case

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Larry S

Re: burned up basket case

Post by Larry S »

Agree. If the engine is no longer reeded or ported,you need a smaller main. I'm thinking 95 or 100.

Larry S
givergas

Post by givergas »

put a 95 main jet in and it fixed the carburetor problems. this morning i went to " miller-black bear trail" 20 miles of trails about an hour north east of me. had the whole place to my self it was perfect rode for a little over an hour it was great . the bike ran very well but the clutch ....well when you put it in gear with the lever pulled in it wants to start creeping it shifts good does'nt make noise the bike pulls good thru the gears but it does'nt seem to want to release all the way when levers pulled it . theres about a 3/16 inch or less of play at the clutch lever on the engine and about a quarter inch on the bars. once your in gear and moving thru the gears there's no problem. any help would be much appreciated.......albert
Attachments
thumbnail (8).jpg
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

My FIRST recommendation is to install new oil for the transmission/clutch my favorite is BelRay 70/80 weight gear oil which is designed for use in motorcycle transmissions with wet clutches (partly because it is usually available locally and partly because it makes such a difference in clutch performance). NOTE 1: 70/80 wt gear oil is measured on a different viscosity scale than motor oil - and is very nearly the same viscosity as the factory original recommendation of 30wt non-detergent motor oil. NOTE 2: Switching to an oil designed for the application WILL improve clutch action . . . at least it does for me. NOTE 3: If the oil doesn't help things enough, removing the clutch cover and inserting/removing spacers to adjust freeplay at the engine clutch lever will also help. Clutch lever travel "used up" to take up extra freeplay isn't available to create maximum separation of clutch disks and plates. NOTE 4: Finally, it is possible (though not really very likely) that you have a warped steel plate which flexes and drags all the time. If so, you'll have to disassemble the clutch to check to find it and replace it. You might want to check out the Resonator Revisited for guidance in past issues about clutch blue printing.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
givergas

Post by givergas »

thank you ed. i am running 80/90 gear oil from NAPA in it that has been changed 2 times all ready as i have that in my other B+ and works good in that one. i would not be surprised if its not a warped plate as the original clutch in it was cracked and i found a used one. i did take it apart but as usual did'nt know what i was looking at. and i did the clutch blue printing........ ""Clutch lever travel "used up" to take up extra freeplay isn't available to create maximum separation of clutch disks and plates"".....could you explain that sentence a little more im just a Mere mortal and cant quite catch it....albert
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

OK - a better explanation. When you wrap your fingers around the clutch lever and start to pull it in - the first quarter of an inch (from your report) of travel is simply removing the freeplay at the hand lever. Then the next "X amount" of travel gets "used up" pulling on the clutch lever at the engine until the freeplay is removed there. Then the remaining travel of the hand lever is all that is available to actually "move" the clutch parts to disengage the clutch. If too much hand lever travel gets "used up" removing freeplay, then there won't be enough movement left to actually fully disengage the clutch. That doesn't really seem to be the problem on your machine -- and it IS important to have some freeplay in the clutch cable system so that simply turning the handlebars won't/can't partially disengage the clutch.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
givergas

Post by givergas »

ohh now i get it ,thank you . i will see what i can do....albert
givergas

Post by givergas »

after taking apart the clutch,i did find that i did not put the "Clutch thrust washer outside" on so that was good to find, then i found some bel-ray gear saver transmission oil 75W. it does seem to be working better i did clean up the clutch hub and i need a new Clutch pinion bushing and i might just bite the bullet and get new clutch discs and plates.....albert
givergas

Post by givergas »

up date . finely got the grand son on this bike took 2 starts to get him going but picked it up quickly so the next day we went and rode some trails north of here and rode around for about 3 hours. well he's hooked. pretty much took ownership of it now. told me he wants to find a motocross track. let the good times roll ....albert
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

The real future of Hodaka right there.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Awesome Albert! Nice work.
Dale
mac

Post by mac »

Good times indeed ! Well done Albert.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Found a set on eBay for less than $10 shipped! Never knew there were tools like this! Thx!!! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
givergas

Post by givergas »

i need to switch the head on this bike. the spark plug popped out yesterday and now the threads are striped out. thanks to maxie i have a head that will work. after reading and looking on this form i need to ask if i can reuse the head and base gasket or replace them with new ? not a lot of hours on this motor. thanks....albert
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Hi Albert. If the gaskets are in good shape, they can be reused. Don't pitch the head. It is salvageable.
givergas

Post by givergas »

thanks matt , yes it will be a good project for me and my assistant , i dont think we will ever run out of things to do with this thing, stay cool albert
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Backatcha Albert. Heat index today in N.E. Iowa - 115F.