How to clear a loaded up motor

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
matt glascock

How to clear a loaded up motor

Post by matt glascock »

Just for fun, what is your favorite technique for quickly clearing a bike that is "loaded up"? Give your technique for both a running and non-running bike.
taber hodaka

Re: Just a fun poll here

Post by taber hodaka »

If it is running I turn the gas off and hold the throttle wide open. --------------Clarence
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Me too, Clarence. How about when the bike won't fire?
Joe Ormonde

Post by Joe Ormonde »

Turn the gas off. Lay the bike on it`s side to drain the carb . Full throttle and kick. If you have a Piston Port engine that loads up more than once in a Blue moon something is wrong. Quite often the Porting has been altered and the only way to cure the Loading Up problem is to Reed valve the Engine. BUT, try this! Replace the rubber hose with a Filtron or UNI Filter Sock. The raw gas that blows back through the carb will soak into the filter and drain out. Worked for me in the past! Joe.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Hey Joe, are you talking of replacing the stock air box with a pod/sock filter or something else? I'm not quite getting your set-up. Thanks!
Joe Ormonde

Post by Joe Ormonde »

Before I reed valved my Super Rat back in the day it loaded up way too often. It didn`t load up until it was ported. I bought a long Filtron sock and chopped off the closed end and glued it to the Air Box. The carb end was clamped on. I had this setup for a short time before I Reed Valved the Engine. A sock filter works great by itself and I should have just clamped it to the carb. I look back on some of the things I did in the past and shake my head! Now, I fix things to be permanent! Back in the day it was Patch and Go! Joe.
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Loaded up into the crank area, pull plug, put in 5th gear. Now hold throttle wide open and puss around. I will push easy, for a minute or two will clean it out. Important is to hold the throttle wide open.
MTrat

Post by MTrat »

socal, that sounds a lot like the old procedure following a submarine adventure in that river crossing. Plug out, foam air filter out and squeezed, bike upside down on bars and seat, 4th gear or so, spin engine to pump out H2O, new plug, filter in, turn over and go. Once had to do this numerous times on a 100 miler.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Great information here, guys. Thanks to all for sharing your experiences. I'm a 1-trick pony if I can't get the bike to fire (plug out, kick until leg falls off, then kick some more). There are great techniques. I'd like to change the title of this thread so that it is searchable if anyone knows how to do this. I've been thinking of occasionally posting some of these "how I do it" threads to make this general knowledge and wealth of experience available to our community.
matt glascock

Clearing out a "loaded up" Hodie

Post by matt glascock »

Title change attempt AND fail.
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Excellent suggestions Matt! Perhaps if you start structuring it, I can pick it up and add it as a regular/occasional section to the Resonator!
Bob
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Great idea Bob! I'd be happy to set up a series of these experience sharing threads. Maybe it would be best to serialize them numerically with a common title and a reference to the subject. That way, they would be easy to find and then we can extract the tips from the responses and include them in a resonator section. As an off-the cuff example: Hodaka How-To #1: What is the best technique to quickly remove a dry, hard tire from a wheel without damaging the rim? ( I will come up with a cooler title). This will be a neat little project Bob, and one that can highlight the wealth of expertise we have come to enjoy in our Hodaka family. I'd be happy to hear any suggestions you have. Otherwise, I will get started on structuring the project. This will be fun! Thanks Bob!
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Great, I’ve been hoping to lure you into some Resonator related activity. Articulate, organized allies are of inestimable help!
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Kind words, Bob. It is great having an opportunity to contribute to such a quality publication. Its easily one of the coolest features of our club and a much appreciated testament to your excellent work. Let's do this thing. I'll get to work on setting it up.
Dale

Re: Clearing out a "loaded up" Hodie

Post by Dale »

matt glascock wrote:Title change attempt AND fail.
Matt, I was able to select "Edit" of the first entry of your post and was able to change the subject line. Give that a try to change it to something of your liking.
Dale
Dale
matt glascock

Re: How to clear a loaded up motor

Post by matt glascock »

Hey, thanks Dale! I'll give it a shot. Now I have to come up with a good title for a series of "how to" threads. Thanks again!